need help with networking.

Uberbob102000

2[H]4U
I have Verizon Wireless EVDO card in a laptop and it's shared right now like this:

Laptop (Wired) -> DIR-655 WAN port -> HP ProCurve switch -> Computers

Is there any way to do something like this?:

Laptop (Wireless) -> Router ( I have a WRT54G or some crappy Actiontek thing) -> DIR-655 WAN port -> Switch -> Computers.

Have you thought about using a wireless router which can accept an EV-DO card for uplink? D-Link offers the DIR-450 which should work with your card.

you should be able to that....on your computer open up your network connection folder and highlight your two nics*(the evdo card and the onboard lan) right click and choose bridge connection. That should get you started you may have to adjust settings on your router.

I've looked at the wireless router/EVDO things but I'm moving soon and don't want to spend money on something I'm not going to need in 2 months.

That's the problem, I need to know what settings to mess with.

you should be able to that....on your computer open up your network connection folder and highlight your two nics*(the evdo card and the onboard lan) right click and choose bridge connection. That should get you started you may have to adjust settings on your router.

nope....

OP: why do you want to do this? if you want to share your evdo connection on the lan, just use ICS and you don't need any routers (your laptop acts as a router)

this'll get you started with ICS

If your willing to go a more permanent route I used IPCop and set up a DHCP/DNS server on my small old computer that I had laying around. (wireless and all). I didn't exactly trust a windows computer that other people could use and browse the web, So i went the dedicated computer route.

I have it shared fine already but I have it going thru a router because I'm weird (really, just because I can) but I want to be able to carry the laptop around the house whilst still being able to use the internet on the other computers.

what version in that linksys, if you can flash DD-WRT on it you should be able to turn in into a bridge.

Not positive of this though.

Back