Need Help with my New 6600GT

crazyvato

Weaksauce
On Monday I got my newegg order in with 512mb of corsair ddr and my geforce 6600gt.
Both of these ran fine until last night when the computer locked up and I had to power off.
I could power back on but I would get no display and the moniter would sit there blinking waiting for an input(YUS THE POWER CABLE WAS CONNECT TO BOTH MONITOR AND VIDEO CARD D:) I plugged in my old GF4 and it works fine what went wrong?

>>BELOW IS SPECS AND A STEP BY STEP LIST TO WHAT HAPPENED<<
420w PS, Intel 2.8 /w HT overclocked to 3.03,Rosewill 6600GT Abit IC7

#1 Computer Locked up, I powered Off
#2 System would start up (all fans running EVEN the video card fan) But no Display to Monitor(Monitor light would blink waiting for input)
#3 Put GF4 In and It works.(I can see the bios and stuff)

so let me get this right, u replace the card with the GF4 to see if it would work with that and it did, so did u put the 6600GT back in? Make sure u have good cooling, check all the cables inside make sure theres no loose screws

yes i put the 6600gt back in.
The card ran from Monday afternoon to tuesday afternoon i doubt cooling is the problem

I had the same issue with an XFX 6600 GT and had to have it replaced twice. I've heard of others having issues with the 6600GT too so it maybe the card.

Fellas it ran for a day (24 hours) no problem so power cords and stuff like that isnt the problem (yes the powercord is connected and I have tried different ones)

I doesn't matter if it runs for 5 minutes or 5 months.... if it goes bad, then rma it. ;)

420W PSU
And i said it ran for a day for the people who ask questions like is it plugged in?

crazyvato said:
420W PSU
And i said it ran for a day for the people who ask questions like is it plugged in?
Gotcha.

What brand psu are you running and what is the amperage on the +12v rail?

crazyvato said:
turbolink 420watt ps running 18 amps @ 12volts
Hard Drive (read/write state) = ~8W
6600GT (full load) = ~60W (peak may be around 120W)
P4 2.8 (idle/load) = ~68-73W
ABIT IC7 = ~15-20W
If using a PCI sound card = ~7W
512MB Memory = ~25W
CDRW = ~30
Floppy Drive = ~5W

These are rough estimates, so the actuals might be a little more or less.

Total so far (without PCI Sound Card) = 17.6 amps (probably higher if you are still overclocking to 3.03).

You might want to check into a new psu with way more amps on the +12v rail.

turbolink is one of those generic crap power supplies that come with an budget aspire premod case

even if the PSU isnt your problem, you should replace it anyway
it should be first priority

even if power shortage is my problem why did the video card just stop working after working for a day.(I played battlefield 2 and other games so I put a load on my System and it ran fine)
*edit* by the way whats the best cheapest psu I could install?

Last week I received a refurb 6600 which worked in the BIOS for about 1 minute before its lame sudden death. No VGA, DVI, output at all. RMA'd.

Getting ready to test a new 6600GT now.. if its DOA I am back on ATI for life.

BTW most systems still draw less than 200W in the BIOS. Headroom is always good but a $180 600W power supply will not fix a DOA video card. Original poster needs to RMA.

yeah im sending it back to newegg today but I just need to know if there is anything I can do to keep this from happening again or was it just a freak problem and died. Thanks for the help guys.

crazyvato said:
yeah im sending it back to newegg today but I just need to know if there is anything I can do to keep this from happening again or was it just a freak problem and died. Thanks for the help guys.
It could be either a bad vid card, or too much draw on your power supply. Almost all power supplies can still operate above their rated spec, but usually not for very long before they start acting weird or getting fried.

You can check the psu subforum here at [H]. There are some stickies that list what brands are good and which too avoid. Enermax, Antec, PCP&C, Zippy, Forton (FSP), and some others are all among top rated brands. Just make sure to find one with around 22A on the +12V at a minimum. Some of these can be had for fairly cheap, especially with instant or mail in rebates. If you find something that catches your eye but are unsure, post your findings here in this thread or in the psu subforum and you'll surely get a quick answer.

Good hunting and good luck.

Back