• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need help with "medium" build

radnom

n00b
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
2
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Programming, 1 or 2 VM sometimes, surfing the web/watching movies, some gaming.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
750-1500$ tax/shipping not included
3) Where do you live?
Quebec, Canada
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc.
Case, Hard Drive, Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, Power Supply, CD/DVD Burner, OS
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
keyboard/mouse (usb)
6) Will you be overclocking?
Most likely not
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
2 monitors (or more (3) in the future if possible) 22"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Very soon
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
None?
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No


My friend came up with this:

Case : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811129066
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813128422
Power Supply : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817341018
CPU i7 : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819115202
RAM : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231223
GPU : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814102858
Hard Drive : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822136533
OS : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16832116758
I would like to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu.

I'll check out for some monitors after but I'm open to suggestions.

Maybe the i7 is a little overkill for what I need.

Tips and Alternatives are appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Tell your Friend that He made a boo boo. OCZ PSU's are pretty much Garbage. I think a Potatoe and a light bulb produce more power then an OCZ PSU

Actually, I wouldn't rate tha OCZ ModXstream Pro that low. However, the OP would still be paying too much money for that PSU which is really a mediocre-performing 500W PSU that's been "up-rated" to 700W. In other words, that ModXstream isn't the worst PSU, but there are significantly better PSU choices for the price.

@ radnom (the OP):

Here is the review that you may want to read. It shows you all the failings of that PSU.
 
Tell your Friend that He made a boo boo. OCZ PSU's are pretty much Garbage. I think a Potatoe and a light bulb produce more power then an OCZ PSU

Look at PSU's that are Seasonic, Antec (No Basiq Series), Corsair. Stay away from stuff like Thermaltake, Rosewill, OCZ or similar

I also recommend the Samsung F3 1T for 79.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...185&cm_re=f3_spinpoint-_-22-152-185-_-Product

Thanks for the advice on the OCZ PSU. He wasn't aware of this.

The F3 looks like a good option and is even cheaper.

I would go with this combo instead:

i7-930 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

This gpu:

XFX 5770

And like the above poster said (with the wrong link though) the Samsung F3 1TB is a good 1tb drive (dual platter design) and is much cheaper than the WD Black.

PSU wise I would go with the Antec Neo Eco 520W which should be enough for an i7 with a 5770.

I just noticed that the i7-920 was not available anymore anyway, and this motherboard along with the combo is cheaper, not sure of the difference between the two though.

I don't know much about PSU brands, I'll take your suggestion for now and will see later, thank you.

Actually, I wouldn't rate tha OCZ ModXstream Pro that low. However, the OP would still be paying too much money for that PSU which is really a mediocre-performing 500W PSU that's been "up-rated" to 700W. In other words, that ModXstream isn't the worst PSU, but there are significantly better PSU choices for the price.

@ radnom (the OP):

Here is the review that you may want to read. It shows you all the failings of that PSU.

Thanks, that's why I've seen it on sale everywhere... :(
 
Back
Top