Need help with Linux!

Penguincomp

Racer [H]
OK...I'm in the process of building my farm..One of my computers I have Lindows on. I downloaded the Linux version of FAH..but then when I click on the exe, it wants me to choose a program to open it with? Let's keep in mind that I know NOTHING about Linux. I'm just adding this comp to the farm while it's waiting to be sold and figured that instead of it just sitting here doing nothing, I'll take the 3ghz and put em to use.

What I need is step by step directions that any moron could follow. Can anyone help me?

Before anyone starts being a dick about anything, I've already looked at the FAQ's and found them not helpful. I'm adding another 8ghz to the 18ghz I already have running so help me please!

Comps being added tonight/this week
P3 800mhz Lappy with broken screen..been sitting in a closet, now folding!
Dual 800mhz P3 server
XP 3000 HP...was my old desktop right after I left my wife and needed a comp cause the bitch kept all of them!
P4 3ghz
P4 3.8ghz tomorrow or the next day after I build it
Another 3.8ghz this weekend after I build it.

Open up a terminal window (like a windows command prompt). I don't know how lindows is setup, but in the "start" menu there is probably something about terminal. Once you have that open, navigate to the directory F@H is in. Do this with the command 'cd' = change directory. So if your F@H directory was /root/something/FAH/, you could use the commands:

cd (to change to root directory)
cd root/something/FAH

Once you are in the F@H directory, just type the command FAH-502-Linux.exe (or whatever it's called, I forget). Here, you can also add flags like -advmethods or -forceasm. For example, you could type:
FAH-502-Linux.exe -advmethods -forceasm
and hit enter.

Also, just for your info, the command 'ls' will list the contents of whatever directory you are in. And when you are in the F@H directory, just type FAH and then hit TAB and it will fill in the rest of the executable name for you.

If I remember correctly I also had to change the permissions when I downloaded it to make it executable.

NetJedi said:
If I remember correctly I also had to change the permissions when I downloaded it to make it executable.

Oh yes, I believe I had to do that as well. Penguincomp: to change permissions so you can execute the file, do the command 'chmod 700 FAH-502-Linux.exe' to allow it to be executed.

Or if you are command line challanged like myself you can change the permissions in Konqurer or Nautilus or whatever by right clicking on it and going to properties. There is a permissions tab in there with a "is executable" checkbox.

Good news! It was the permissions that was screwing me. It's now going..another 3ghz running for me for a total of 25.8ghz. With the 2 other comps I'll be building this week, all have 33.4ghz running in my house..bwahahaha! Thanks for the help!

Back