Hi all.
I will post all the pertinent information, if anyone is knowledgable on the subject... I would appreciate a little direction.
Price Range - Under 400$ - total. I'd prefer it to be in the $200-250 range, but if that just buys me crap... say so. I'm not into buying crap.
Use - about half the time I will be listening to music, the other half I will be playing games. My games of choice offer voice chat, so a microphone would be clutch, or maybe if it is the way to go, I may go with 2 different headphones, one for gaming, one for music.
For Music :
Source - Onkyo 606 Receiver (95% of my audio coming to it will be via my computer, which has a X-fi fatal1ty championship sound card - source files on computer are either 320k mp3 or FLAC - receiver is hooked up via toslink, but I am open to going analog if the sound would be better).
For Gaming :
Will go straight to headphones from my PC. I play some first person shooters, WoW. I don't know if any games I play currently offer 5dot1, but I've read before that 5dot1 headphones suck. I don't know what to make of that sentiment.
I consider comfort to be a big requirement, which can be tough with over the ear headphones. I keep reading open or closed for headphones, don't know what this means.
My main rig is a really nice speaker/sub set, which has spoiled me with sound quality. I would like to have as nice of sound quality as possible, while not going overboard (relative term, I know). I would prefer headphones that do not require more hardware (an amp), but if those in the know really think it is the way to go, post up and I will do the reading on it.
I know this message reeks of being uninformed - but I am in the first step of my research process. Learn whats what, get a feel for the market, and then figure out how to best upgrade my 20$ plantronics headphones.
By the way: thanks to all those who helped me on my previous buy; I'm LOVING it!!!!!
I will post all the pertinent information, if anyone is knowledgable on the subject... I would appreciate a little direction.
Price Range - Under 400$ - total. I'd prefer it to be in the $200-250 range, but if that just buys me crap... say so. I'm not into buying crap.
Use - about half the time I will be listening to music, the other half I will be playing games. My games of choice offer voice chat, so a microphone would be clutch, or maybe if it is the way to go, I may go with 2 different headphones, one for gaming, one for music.
For Music :
Source - Onkyo 606 Receiver (95% of my audio coming to it will be via my computer, which has a X-fi fatal1ty championship sound card - source files on computer are either 320k mp3 or FLAC - receiver is hooked up via toslink, but I am open to going analog if the sound would be better).
For Gaming :
Will go straight to headphones from my PC. I play some first person shooters, WoW. I don't know if any games I play currently offer 5dot1, but I've read before that 5dot1 headphones suck. I don't know what to make of that sentiment.
I consider comfort to be a big requirement, which can be tough with over the ear headphones. I keep reading open or closed for headphones, don't know what this means.
My main rig is a really nice speaker/sub set, which has spoiled me with sound quality. I would like to have as nice of sound quality as possible, while not going overboard (relative term, I know). I would prefer headphones that do not require more hardware (an amp), but if those in the know really think it is the way to go, post up and I will do the reading on it.
I know this message reeks of being uninformed - but I am in the first step of my research process. Learn whats what, get a feel for the market, and then figure out how to best upgrade my 20$ plantronics headphones.
By the way: thanks to all those who helped me on my previous buy; I'm LOVING it!!!!!