• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Help with GTX480 install

Smidgerine

n00b
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
4
I have a 700W Fortron power supply and it has 2 6pin PCI-E connectors. The 480 Card from Galaxy requires a 6pin and an 8 pin connector. I guess they probably all do. Galaxy did not supply a 6pin to 8pin or a 4pin to 8pin adapter, so right now I'm out of luck. I see that the extra 6pin I have would fit in the 8pin, but by looking at the wires I think the ground wires and 12V wires are switched on the 8pin, so I didn't want do to that and let the blue smoke out of the card. Is that right, or could I use the 6 pin in the 8 pin spot? I think it's crazy of Galaxy (or any company) to not supply these adapters on a freaking 500 dollar video card.

Will the card boot with only 1 6pin installed? I'm probably about to try that. I know it probably wouldn't run games, but at least that would allow me to do work without having to switch back to the old card. Thanks!
 
You need both 6 and 8 pin cables attached. Do you have a Fry's or Microcenter nearby? Hell, I know exactly what you need and have plenty of adapters... lol.
 
In no circumstance should you ever use a card that requires an 8 pin and 6 pin configuration with anything less than both of those plugs filled.
 
Well, this was what I was afraid of...no Fry's or Microcenter or anything near me except for a Radio Shack. Mississippi doesn't have much!

I'm running a core i5, a 1.5 TB HD, a DVD-Rom on a Gigabyte MicroATX motherboard in an Antec 200 case with 4 GB of RAM. I can't imagine my PS couldn't give the required amperage to the card, but I just lack the connector. I ordered one from Newegg....hopefully eggsaver will only take a day. Hey, that's one good thing about Oxford, MS...only an hour from Memphis, which is a huge shipping spot for newegg.
 
I'll send you one for free! YGPM! [EDIT] Ah shit nevermind I guess? You ordered one. Well good luck!
 
You could probably find a compatible PSU from a B&M like bestbuy. Even better if you had a microcenter/fry's you could pick up a 4 pin molex adapter and that should do the trick...
 
Back
Top