Need help with evga 9600gt

IKV1476

Lurker
I bought an evga 9600gt during the first week that is was out and have been experiencing the "black screen of death" similar to the people in this thread on the evga forums.
http://www.evga.com/forums/m.asp?m=272011

My cards model number is 512-P3-N862-AR , the superclocked edition. I have tried 2 different sets of drivers and still am getting this black screen. I just updated my driver to the latest on nvidias website yesterday, hoping that will help. I have also been using riva tuner to increase the fan speed and to underclock the card.
My idle temps are around 38-39 and my load temps are around 50-52. I set the fan to 50 when I game. I underclocked my card to 650/1600/900 instead of the factory 675/1675/900.
This underclock did seem to work for about 2 1/2 weeks were i got the black screen only one or 2 times. But now over the last 3 days I have had a black screen everyday, and one time my screen became all distorted, like static, like a tv with bad reception.

This is very random, as I have been playing for hours (8+) with no problems one day and then the next day after an hour or 2 poof, black screen. When this happens I have to reset my system in order to get the video back. And sometimes after the restart I can game for hours on end with no problems.

If possible, would a bios update fix this and if so where can i find it?

Any and all help and advice is welcome. If you need more info I can supply it.

asrock 939 dual-vsta 3800+ at 2.3 on watercooling
2 GB OCZ ram pc5000
winxp sp2-all updates
700 watt psu OCZ

this just happened to me too, but I have 2 palit 9600gt's. Had to reload the drivers to get any video output. Im guessing its a 174.74 driver problem.

Back