Need help with converting DVDs to Xbox format

sitheris

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to rip some of my favorite DVDs (that I own) to my computer so I can stream them to my 360 and watch on my HDTV using Windows Media Center. What's a good program for doing all of this?

I have access to both a Mac and PC so my software options are pretty unlimited.

I have been trying to use Handbrake on the Mac side (converting a VIDEO_TS folder to .avi file with Xvid encoder), and then copy avi file to my Vista machine, but I haven't had any luck. My 360 just freezes when I try to play them, but supposedly the 360 should support xvid and divx.

What other programs could I use to do this? Surely I'm not the only one who's tried to do this.

If I remember right, there's one out there called Transcode 360. It allows you to stream .avi files to the 360.

I'll try it out, but what I'd really like to do is convert my DVDs to a format that can be played natively on the 360..I don't see why it's having a problem with Xvid because that's supposed to be supported.

I'll try it out, but what I'd really like to do is convert my DVDs to a format that can be played natively on the 360..I don't see why it's having a problem with Xvid because that's supposed to be supported.

Change Xvid to Divx and it should work fine (you have to do that for Linksys's Extenders) but, curiously, what is the problem you're seeing?

The Xbox supports MPEG2 and WMV; due to the low quality you don't really want to encode your DVDs into WMV and MPEG2 loses the chapter data (harder to fast forward/rewind).

In short: you're better off building an HTPC for this.

Change Xvid to Divx and it should work fine (you have to do that for Linksys's Extenders) but, curiously, what is the problem you're seeing?

The Xbox supports MPEG2 and WMV; due to the low quality you don't really want to encode your DVDs into WMV and MPEG2 loses the chapter data (harder to fast forward/rewind).

In short: you're better off building an HTPC for this.

The problem is that when I try to play the xvid encoded file, my 360 completely locks up..I have to power it off from the console itself (even the controller becomes unresponsive)

You cant watch dixv in media center if thats what i read your doing. You have to go on the dash to the media blade and go to videos. Share your videos in wmp11 and youll see them in there. I have been watching everything through the dash fine using handbrake to convert them to 640x272 and ac3 audio.

They didnt fix it in media center and never will.

You cant watch dixv in media center if thats what i read your doing. You have to go on the dash to the media blade and go to videos. Share your videos in wmp11 and youll see them in there. I have been watching everything through the dash fine using handbrake to convert them to 640x272 and ac3 audio.

They didnt fix it in media center and never will.

Thanks for the info...shame MS can't make things work the way they should!

did you get it to work then? I had some dvix that wouldnt because they were dvix3. It needed to be xvid1.1 or dvix5. i cant get mkv's or whatever it is it also supports.

I have converted all of mine to avi's using autogk and play them through the dashboard under videos in the XBOX 360. My small AVI's play fine, but the 360 seems to shutter everyonce in a while when playing a movie AVI. I don't think you play them through the media extender in the 360.

Back