• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help with Befsr ver. 3

speedball

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
114
Just bought a used router from the F/S board. No software.

What do I do? I'm new to sharing the router's internet connection, and have 3 pc's that need to be online.
 
Do you have cable or DSL? If DSL, does your ISP use PPPoE, and does the client run on your computer?
 
Do you have cable or DSL? If DSL, does your ISP use PPPoE, and does the client run on your computer?

I have cable. When I hookup just my PC to the router, I can get on - but as soon as I plug a client into the router all connections go dead.
 
You do not need software, you manage the router through a web browser.
Power off your cable modem for a few minutes.
Cable modem plugged into Internet/WAN port of the router.
PC(s) plugged into one of the 4x LAN ports on the router.
Make sure your PCs TCP/IP is set to "obtain auto"
There's a reset button on the router..hold it in for about 30 seconds..you'll see the lights go through a cycle.
Then power cycle the router.
Power up your cable modem...after a minute or so, once it's synched up...power cycle the router again.
Your PC should pickup a 192.168.1.100 address.
Should be online now. Can manage the router by pointing your web browser to 192.168.1.1. Username is left <blank>, password is admin
Upgrade to latest firmware from Linksys.
 
Do you have cable or DSL? If DSL, does your ISP use PPPoE, and does the client run on your computer?

Sorry - but uhhhmmm...what? I'm illiterate with routers and networking. I'm on cable and I don't understand the "client" thingie. OK, OK, I'm a moron - someone help!

I tried YeOldeStonecat's advice - but nothing gained. I even borrowed my friend's router (same make/model) and got nowhere fast.
I called my ISP and they wouldn't give me any help when I said the word "router". :confused:
 
Anyone feel like going with me step by step???
I got a copy of the software, but have no idea what I'm doing.
I can build a PC in 10 minutes, but I can't figure out this damn router.:confused:
 
Lately I've seen that the Cable Modems I have to deal with in this area all seem to operate the same way. They are programmed to hand out 'X' number of IP addresses by the cable/DSL company. When that number is maxed you have to wait for the number to naturally decrease (which can take upwards of a day, depending on how often IP addresses require renewal.)

All that said, the easier solution is to power down the cable modem prior to installing the router. What you will want to do is first plug your PC in to one of the router's available ports (NOT the uplink/WAN port!) On most routers (and I think this is true on the Linksys BEFSR41) the ports you want to use will be numbered, and I think on that specific router they are numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4. After you plug your PC in to the router connect power to the router. Your PC should "detect a network connection" and state that you are now connected at either 10.0 Mbps or 100.0 Mbps. If you can't get this far (having done nothing but leave the cable modem unplugged) then you have a different issue and need to comment that this didn't work.

Assuming that the above works as stated you will want to connect up the cable modem. First, plug the power cord in to the cable modem. The lights should begin blinking and after about a minute the cable modem will have a few lights that stay on and one that will blink occasionally. This is typical, but each cable modem will have it's own quirks and operating procedures so make sure you know what "normal" looks like. Once the cable modem hits this "steady" state plug an ethernet cable in to the back of it and run it to the Uplink/WAN port on the router. I'm pretty sure on the BEFSR41 it's clearly labeled WAN/Internet, and is physically separated from the other ports on the back of the unit. Once you do this give it about 30 seconds then try connecting up to Google.com. If you can't connect then you will need to troubleshoot the router. Consult Pages 12-17 in this manual for the BEFSR41 if you require information on how to configure and troubleshoot configuration issues.

Oh, and one last thing--don't use any software, that shouldn't be required for ANYTHING you are doing. It's a router, it has it's own software and web-based configuration utility.

202276
 
Back
Top