Need Help With ASUS P8Z68V Pro Gen 3 i7 2600K Overclock

Maplehamwich

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everyone,

So I've finally got an aftermarket cooler, two years later, and I'm looking to overclock my system.

I've done the forum search, and the google, and I've tried some overclocking. From 4.0GHz to 4.5GHz.

The issue I'm having is thermal related. I'm running a Corsair H100i and at idle I run 30-45 degrees celsius on the above overclock scale, respectively.

At load on prime 95 I run 80+ degrees celsius on the above overclock scale.

For reference I've followed this thread for settings:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1279729/intel-i7-2600k-3-4ghz-asus-p8z68-v-pro-overclock-help

Specifically, I am running these exact settings at the moment (left memory at auto):
http://www.overclock.net/t/1279729/...asus-p8z68-v-pro-overclock-help#post_17666806

Results are:
- (idle) 4.5GHz Clock; 1.344v Core Voltage; 45 degrees celsius.
- (idle) 4.0GHz Clock; 1.336v Core Voltage; 40 degrees celsius with spikes to 50...

- I previously ran an ASUS AI Suite Auto Overclock which set to the common 4.43GHz Clock; 1.34 Core Voltage and BLCK 103 and that gave me idle temps at 30-35 celsius.

- When I run everything at stock I idle at 30-35 celsius and prime 95 at 60-65 celsius.

Ambient room temperature is 20 celsius. I'm running a well ventilated Corsair Carbide Air 540 case with stock AF140L fans and an H100i with Arctic Silver 5 (pea/dot application). I've also previously run the stock thermal paste on the H100i, same thermal issues.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Most 25-2600k chips will hit 4.4-4.5 pretty easily without alot of voltage adjustments. I would suspect you are running more than enough volts with your current setup. As a reference, my 2600k does 4.8Ghz @1.368v, (close to the voltage your running for only 4.5Ghz).

1. First I would reseat your h-100 on your processor. Its either not seated correctly or you didn't use enough thermal paste. 80c with that much voltage should not be happening. As I said above, I run 1.368v and with my H-70 I had on before my XPS watercooler it did about 71-73c at most, this folding 24/7. My current setup hasn't been rebooted for 2 weeks while it's been folding 24/7 and the temp right now reads 67C.

2. I would either bump the multiplier up to 46 or drop your voltage until it becomes unstable at 45. Very small voltage adjustments make big differences in temp. Mine went from 83C @ 1.392v to 73C @1.368v. If your using the "off-set" adjustment, don't be afraid to go negative to test it out. I would start with -.010 or something and test for stability.

3. Check your LLC, I'm unfamiliar with Asus's LLC bios settings, Asrock does it by a number system, 1-5, 5 being the most vdroop, (I use 3 for my overclock). Asus does it low, med, high or something I think. You should never need it on "very high" like that guy has his set. I would set it at medium and go from there.

4. When your done, slowly start backing off the voltage until it becomes unstable, then add .010.

I would suspect your biggest problem with the extra heat is your LLC though.

Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Voltage, if anything, is high and is likely contributing to the temps. But the voltages aren't outrageous and it seems many others run similiar or higher with lower temps. I can windows boot up to 4.6/4.7, but then thermals become an even bigger issue. So I'm thinking it's definitely the cooler that is the issue, and not the CPU.

1. I've re-seated the cooler once already, but I'll pick up some Arctic Cooling MX-4 and give it another go tonight. If I still get the same results I'll put the stock cooler back on and see what kind of thermals I am getting with it. I figure if those are cooler or equal to the H100i, then something is wrong with the H100i. I'm also toying with the idea of picking up another closed loop cooler to test similarly.

2. After I've done the above testing I'll try using negative off-set (currently using positive 0.005). I've tried manually setting voltage to 1.2, and that seemed to be unstable, I had a hardlock when starting Prime 95.

3. I believe my LLC is currently set to Very High, so I'll turn that down as well.

Hopefully I can get it solved soon! I'm heading home from the office early today so I can get the thermal paste and possibly cooler. Thanks for the help Pitbully.

Alright, so I've done a bit of tweaking after my shopping. Applying new thermal paste (Arctic Cooling MX-4, Previously used Arctic Silver 5) will have to wait for Saturday or possibly Sunday. Also picked up an H110 as a replacement, as I'm almost positive this H100i is a dud.

- Put multiplier to 43.
- Turned offset to negative and 0.005,.
- Turned LLC to low.

Still had the same temperature issues (it hit 85 centigrade before I shut it down, like 10 seconds in).

Alright, so I've done a bit of tweaking after my shopping. Applying new thermal paste (Arctic Cooling MX-4, Previously used Arctic Silver 5) will have to wait for Saturday or possibly Sunday. Also picked up an H110 as a replacement, as I'm almost positive this H100i is a dud.

- Put multiplier to 43.
- Turned offset to negative and 0.005,.
- Turned LLC to low.

Still had the same temperature issues (it hit 85 centigrade before I shut it down, like 10 seconds in).

This was after you put the new H-100 on it or before?

I assume the 85c was reached doing Prime 95 or something? Did it become unstable or did you just shut it down when it hit 85c? Whats the idle temp?

Since your still seeing high temps and we've somewhat eliminated the possibility of it being the block being seated wrong we have to assume your still pushing too many volts. Open CPU-Z or similar and then run Prime or IBT for 5 mins or so while watching the voltage and look for the most voltage the cpu calls for.

Those tests were all with the original H100i. I haven't opened the H110 yet. And yes, the temps are all with Prime 95 unless stated as idle. I'm running small fft test with 8 workers.

At stock I was getting 35-40 idle and 60-65 in Prime 95.

Interesting results today. I reseated the original H100i with Arctic Cooling MX-5 paste. I'm seeing the following with a 4.3GHz overclock:

- Idle Temperatures 30-35 degrees celsius
- Prime 95 Temperatures topping out at 78 degrees celsius. This is after roughly 10 minutes of running prime 95. They stabilized at 75-76 within 2-3 minutes but saw random spikes to 78.
- Max Voltage of 1.328

Compare that to the stock Thermal Paste and Arctic SIlver 5 Paste and it's a reduction of load temps by ~10 degrees minimum.

I'm still not convinced everything is right, as 77 is higher than I think it should be at 4.3GHz. But it's much more comforting than seeing the Temps hit 80 celsius within seconds of starting Prime 95.

I'm going to switch out the H100i for the stock cooler next and see what idle with no over clock looks like. If it's similiar or better than the H100i... But if it's significantly worse, then it must just be my CPU, hey?

-edit-
I should also note. Corsair Link has stopped identifying the H100i after this install. Also, I moved from the Pea method to the X method for paste application.

Last edited:
Well, I'm running the stock intel cooler now, and temperatures at stock frequency are 40 degrees celsius at idle. I'm thinking something isn't right with the cooler. As at best the H100i was giving me a 5 degree celsius advantage at idle.

-edit-
A quick prime 95 test shows the same results as with the H100i when using the stock intel cooler. It quickly jumps up to 60-70 and within another 30 seconds hits 80+ at which point I stop the test.

Also, corsair link was uninstalled.

Last edited:
Well,

It seems I installed it improperly the previous time I put the backplate on. The fourth h100i install required me put the back plate on again, as I had put the intel cooler on previously (which needed the H100i backplate removed). Now that I've re-installed the fourth time, including backplate, my thermals are much much much better.

At stock speeds:
- Idle 30c
- Prime 95 50-55c

At 4.5GHz overclock:
- idle ~35c
- Prime 95 65-68c (68c max temperature through 15 minutes of Prime 95, 67c average)
- During above test: Coldest Core Max Temp 62c, Hottest Core Max Temp 68c
- 1.296v in CPU-Z during Prime 95
- 1.376v in CPUID HWMonitor during Prime 95

I'm happy with those temperatures, I think they're within the acceptable range of my CPU (2600k) and cooler (H100i). Phew! What do you figure? Things seems ok?

I think I'll go return the H110 now. Thankfully I never opened it. : D

Last edited:
Yeah, that's much better. Even with the 4.5ghz o/c temps look just about right. Glad its working well now for you now.

Back