Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
So there is this binary I want to edit. I want to change the x86 asm
Code:
mov    (%rax),%eax
to
Code:
mov %rax,FFFh

gdb told me what the opcode was for the original, and I found its location using a hex editor. But how do I obtain the opcodes for the new operation I want to replace it? Can I use nasm or something else to convert just a single operation to hex opcode?

Thanks

Run nasm using the binary output format "-f bin" and you'll just get the opcode output.

So there is this binary I want to edit. I want to change the x86 asm
to
Code:
mov %rax,FFFh
It should be this:
48 C7 FF 0F 00 00

There may be more bytes in the replacement instruction (mov rax, imm32) than original, so good luck with the substitution. ;)

Note that this mode will sign extend the immediate value provided, so if bit 31 is set, expect rax bits 32-63 to also be set.

Last edited:
how'd you get that, nasm told me
Code:
48B8FF0F000000000000
which in gdb gave me
Code:
mov    $0x4890909000000fff,%rax

And those 90's were suppose to be NOP

I tried your code, and it gave me
Code:
rex.W (bad)  
decl   (%rdi)
add    %al,(%rax)

how'd you get that,
It's a mistake. :p Without an assembler handy, I looked up the opcode in the instruction set reference and didn't include the correct byte for mov rax, imm32 so it's not decoding properly. I was trying to save 4 bytes if they weren't needed for a full mov rax, imm64.

If you have 10 bytes to replace the original "mov (%rax),%eax" with "mov %rax, FFFh", the code nasm gave you is correct of course (48 B8 FF 0F 00 00 00 00 00 00). Otherwise you may be overwriting other code beyond the original "mov (%rax),%eax".

yeah, I miscounted and only had 9 bytes free. So I could only fit a mov for eax and not rax.

thanks for the help!!

Back