• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

need help with air cooling

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
5,086
I have a gateway gt5476e pc.It only has 1 exhaust fan and no inlet fan.It has an 80mm fan on the cpu hs but that is cooling the cpu.
I am gonna install a ea500 and a pny 8800gt this weekend.I know the 8800gt is gonna be cooking inside my case so I need to do something about airflow.
I am thinking to install just 1 80mm inlet fan but I dont know what I should do.Please tell me what you would do with this case since buying a new one right now is not an option.

I don't know if I should cut a hole in the top and install a big fan I am confused please help out
 
Is leaving the side panel off an option? :D

I know that's what I had to do with an antec case of mine when cooling was an issue.

In terms of case modding,
holes can be cut on the top and side and can be very effective.

Take a read through the case mod FAQ
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=758609

it should give some tips if that is the route you're taking.
 
Why are you upgrading the parts before thinking new case? If you know your going to have issues get a case to replace the current one.
 
I wanted to get the parts first since they are the most expensive
 
Do you have any open bays in front you could fit a 80MM fan into?

I had to do that on an old case i had a while back and zippy tied there :p Didnt look pretty but it worked.
Beyond that, cutting out a whole in side panel or on top to mount a fan works well too. Just takes some effort :)

I know ya said a new case was out of the ? atm, but maybe you could pick one up for like $40 from the egg or something. Be your best bet TBH.
 
yeah but what case can I get for $40 that has good airflow?The only thing that seems to have good airflow is the antec 900 case and the xclio case.
 
well those cases aren't exactly $40 either.
I would like to get one that has free shipping since it is around $20 to ship a case.
 
I think you mean ultra kaze, and i dont recommend them. The entire line has a problem with clicking and rattling.
 
Hard to tell from the pics on Gateway's site, but looks like you could just zip-tie a couple 120s for intake on that side panel. I'd just do that 'til you can afford a real case.

I scored a couple of Coolermaster 330s with free shipping. They're $62 shipped at the moment, however. You'll want to get an additional fan for the front, as well.

EDIT: SVC has them for less than $50 shipped to my house. I got one of mine from them (I have two, roommate has one), as well as several other items.
 
Back
Top