Need help with a part.

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
I accidentily broke off this part on one of my boards, in such a way that I cant solder it back on. Luckily its not too small to solder once I get a new one, but first things first. What is the part in the picture below? Is it some type of CAP or a resisor? If it is a resistor could I sub one of the smaller ones they sell at like radioshack. I mean the kind you use with LEDS and typical stuff like that.

Heres what I am talking about:
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG

And the l33t photoshop rendering :)
resis.jpg

Its too small to get a clear pic, but the measurements are ~.5mm X .3mm

If you are curious it came off of a OLD server CPU backplane.

Thanks for any help!

Nevermind, I found a old board laying around and the numbers matched on the part I needed. I soldered it on and it works again.

mindstormsguy said:
just incase you were wondering...its a resistor...thats what that 20k is talking about

I am not to sure about that. ;)

mindstormsguy said:
just incase you were wondering...its a resistor...thats what that 20k is talking about
I'm pretty sure it's a tantalum capacitor. I don't remember how to read the value though.

NleahciM said:
I'm pretty sure it's a tantalum capacitor. I don't remember how to read the value though.

Yup, it's a tantrum alright. The black stripe shows the positive end.
It is a 106 = 10x6^10 = 10,000,000pF = 10uF.

And for the record, you could have swapped it out for a 10uF cap from radioshack, it would just be a lot bigger (physically), since it would likely be electrolytic instead of tant, but fine electrically, since I don't think radioshack sells em rated any lower than 16V, and few cards generate voltages outside the regulated 5 and 12 volts provided, so a 16V cap is a fairly safe bet.

Back