Need help with a choice

humblepie

Limp Gawd
Here's my situation.

Currently I own a 8800 GTX BFG that I can overclock to 655 core 2ghz memory. I have an intel q6600 and the nvidia boards I understand are horrid when it comes to overclocking quad cores. I purchased a x38 board which is fine, and has the capability to do crossfire and I was leaning towards that with a couple of 3870x2's. Here's what I understand.

I'm about to dump XP pro I'm using for Vista Ultimate 64 so I can make full use of my total memory.

I understand that nvidia has crappy drivers with vista.

I understand that I won't be using Nvidia cards in SLI because my board doesn't support it and if it did, I would have to switch my cpu as well because the nvidia boards stink for overclocking quads and I'm not sure I want to do that just right now. Although I might.

I also know that my 8800gtx overclocked performs better than a 3870x2 (not sure how much better than an overclocked 3870x2) but I also know that the 8800gtx is a major power hog, heat generator, and noise producer so I'm looking to move away from it.

I am not sure how much performance difference 2x 3870x2's overclocked in crossfire would give me and how much heat and power draw it would be.

I know the other option is to switch to the 9800GX2 which is going to be about the same cost if I switched to the 3870x2's in crossfire but how much performance difference is there between a single 9800GX2 and the 3870's in crossfire and difference in heat and power? That is my question. To go wtih 3870x2's in crossfire or a single 9800GX2. Overclocking, power, heat, performance, and vista drivers are all things I'm trying to keep in mind. Price points between the two are the same for me right now.

Opinions on this?

My opinion: Wait. The new 9000 series cards wouldn't make me upgrade from a 8800GTX and I wouldmn't want to mess with CF 3870X2s unless you've got money to burn.

I would stick with the 8800GTX for a while, 9800GX2 and the 3870x2 are both going to use a lot of power and make a lot of heat. Also if I understand right to only big problem left with the vista drivers is that your running vista.

If I had to choose between the 9800GX2 and the 3870x2 I would go with the 9800GX2, Also I would go with EVGA and wait till the first of May to order so I could step up to these supposed July cards.

I would just wait and stick with that 8800GTX card. It's still pretty strong even for a 1920 x 1200 res display. Eventually the 3870X2 and 9800GX2 will drop in prices. Also, when the new cards from ATI comes out it will help you better decide. I'm sure the 8800GTX is not hindering your gameplay to the point where you can't play a game smoothly.

Nvidia's Drivers seem to work fine for me, Ive been running my vista ultimate x64 box since November, I only had a few issues the first month, since then I haven't had a single issue with them. Granted I'm not doing SLI or 8800s, but my 8600GTS has been rock solid. My friend has a computer 99% identical to mine and has no issues, and I've also worked on a few laptops and desktops with vista and Nvidia. Only issues I ever saw were with my friend's Alienware, it wouldn't enable SLI. but Alienware's drivers are rather bitchy.

Back