Need Help To Test Stability + Temp Checks

P4rD0nM3

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
1,544
Hey guys, I tried Oc'ng my desktop that has the AMD 64 X2 4200+ cpu on a Biostar TF560 A+ mobo. Right now it's sitting at 2.5GHz and I was wondering if some of you guys can help me check if it's stable or not, what are the apps that I need to run for XX days to check if it's really stable. Right now I'm using SpeedFan to check my temps, how many degrees should I add to check the real temp? Speedfac reports 35 C on idle.

Oh and it's on stock cooling right now but I plan on getting a Swiftech Compact 120 to cool it down a bit.

I think it's going to blow up now.
 
I think it's going to blow up now.

hmm I suggest you find out those things BEFORE you start screwing with stuff. I dont know enough about current AMD processors to say what temp software you should use.

Orthos is a good stability test for the cpu (but does not simulate the video load a game has)
looping 3dmark is a good test for gamers after Orthos
memtest86+ to test memory.

Best stress test is to play the crap out of whatever game you mainly play on a hot day.
 
Orthos/Prime95 are both good for stress testing as is memtest and you can use ATI Tool to stress video (works with ATI and nvidia cards). It's good to run a variety of test to ensure stability.

Best stress test is to play the crap out of whatever game you mainly play on a hot day.

I disagree. The point of stress testing is to test above and beyond whatever you can throw at your computer IMO. I would much rather clock a little lower and have some headroom than be running at the ragged edge of stability.
 
Should I run Orthos for 24 hours non stop? It's been going for 6 hours anod and it hasn't crashed yet.

Do I run Orthos and Prime 95 at the same time? And in Orthos which tests should I use?
 
You don't need Orthos and Prime 95 clone. Orthos is just a Prime 95. Use Prime 95 v25.6 or higher. To be honest, if you're stable after 6 hours of Prime 95, that’s probably good enough. However, 24 hours is a divining rod for some. I’ve seen Prime 95 crash one thread at 20 hours.

Start running apps and playing games I say. Prime is cool, but nothing will test your system like using it. If you notice problems, run Prime for 12 to 24 hours at that point unless you know how to fix your problem.
 
Speedfan is no good, try everest in regards to your temps, I would say realtemp but i am pretty sure that is only for intel processors, other than that, listen to the other stuff, you can run stability tests all you want, but best bet is just game on it and see what happens
 
you can run stability tests all you want, but best bet is just game on it and see what happens

Unless you actually care about whats on the PC, and do not want to corrupt a whole bunch of shit later. Its better to get in a little extra stress testing early on, than to have a big problem later.
 
Back
Top