need help to partition C drive. XP question.

I used to have a small hd for my OS and games but with large HD's so cheap these days :D

anyway, i need to partition C drive, that is currently a 500gig hd, into 2 partitions: 80gig for the C drive and 420gigs for the new partition. the last time i had to do this was with a program i had to buy and that was 5 years ago. is there any way that i can repartition C drive without reformating windows and without having to buy a program to do it?

GParted to the rescue. It should be able to repartition that drive (meaning split it) as you require and do it non-destructively meaning it'll actually work and you won't lose any data in the process. If you've got a lot of data taking up that first 80GB of space, get ready for this to take some time; if you've got more than 80GB get ready for it to possibly take even longer.

Also, they have a LiveCD version and now a LiveUSB version too you can put on a USB stick. Pretty neat stuff.

But it should work.

Final tip: As soon as you do this, you're going to need to move as much stuff off the 80GB partition as you possibly can: Windows hates it when you have more than 85% of a partition used for any reason, so, get that stuff moved off quick and don't allow that 80GB partition to get over 65GB full (or close to it).

Good luck...

GParted is awesome...and it's freeness makes it all the more so. I use it all the time and have never had a problem with it...ever.

The LiveCD is what you want, it works with NTFS just fine... It is a Linux utility but as I said, it works with Windows just fine...Boot from the CD and your good to go, and be sure to read the FAQ before using it.

ok.........it or I FUBAR'ed my xp install :(

looks like a reformat is in order. good thing i backed up my stuff.

I thought the same recently when I used Partition Magic to create a new partition. Actually, the problem is the NTFS file system thinks it's been hacked or something, and If I recall I did a repair from the XP install disk. I repaired the two NTFS boot files...maybe someone can chime in, and that made XP happy and it restarted fine. At least try that before you reformat.

Aha! I found it in another post by BBZ_Ghost about another issue. Quoting:

Boot off the XP CD and choose Recovery Console (press R when requested). Log into the installation if it even locates one, and then type these commands in this order:

fixmbr (and press Enter)
Type Y for yes and press Enter again.

fixboot (and press Enter)
Type Y for yes and press Enter again.

Reboot.

:cool:

Back