• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need help, system crashing with some games

rrgjr

n00b
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
13
I have a P4 3.0, 1 gig ram, pny 6800 ultra vid. card, creative sound blaster audigy 2 card, 550 antec power supply.

Games such as Unreal Tournamnet 2004, Far Cry run great without any problem .

The games I'm having problems with are Quake III arena and Soldier of Fortune Helix.
The problem I'm having is I can be running the game for maybe 20 min. one session, maybe 45 min. another session etc. and then all of a sudden the game will freeze with the sound looping over and over again. Sometimes after a few min. of the freeze and looping sound it will unfreeze and other times it won't. I have the latest updates on these games.
It's funny how I'm having a problem with these games and not the other two.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
 
I'm assuming that you've updated the drivers for your video card and sound card. If not, please do so.

Do any error messages come up?

I remember having a similar problem with Q3 engine based games. It turned out to be a problem with Direct Sound. I eventually solved it by uninstalling my sound card drivers and reinstalling them. That was with a Creative SoundBlaster Live! Digital, but it might also work for your Audigy 2.

I would also suggest trying the same with the video card drivers. Use the ones at www.nvidia.com not the drivers that came with your card.

Hope that works!
 
Oh yeah, I'm always updating my video drivers. I have tried most of the nvidia drivers out there. I have also updated and reinstalled my sound drivers.
I did post this in another forum and just received a response saying that they had a similar problem and corrected it by disabling the Agp Fast writes in the bios setting.
I will try that when I get home tonight.

Thanks
 
No I do not get any error messages at all. The action just freezes and I get the looping sound which sometimes eventully unfreezes and sometimes not. Once in awhile it might just reboot.
 
rrgjr said:
No I do not get any error messages at all. The action just freezes and I get the looping sound which sometimes eventully unfreezes and sometimes not. Once in awhile it might just reboot.


Well both games are QIII engine games so clearly its that engine that gives you problems. Have you gotton patches for both games? If not then get cracking.
 
Try updating your Mobo chipset drivers if you can... that's never a bad thing to do either...
 
Ok,
I do have the updated patches on both those games. Everything that I have tried has been with no success with these 2 games. This system that I have originally had the nvidia 5900xt in it. This is a new system so I really never had a chance to try quake III or soldier of fortune helix with the 5900xt. I upgraded so quickly to the pny 6800 ultra. Before I installed the 6800 i did clean out all the 5900xt drivers using the driver cleaner 3 program and manually searching for nv*.* files.
I finally decided to pull out the 6800 ultra and put back the 5900xt in.
Using the same video drivers ( 61.77), quake III work perfectly without a freeze up of any sort. played for over an hour and no problem.
Well try Soldier of fortune tomorrow.
I don't understand why.
 
I had the same problem with a similar setup. Try enabling "ACPI" in the bios. The problem was with the Audigy2, not your video. The Audigy cards need to have their own IRQ channel. My card would either loop the sound, make really annoying screeaching sounds, or just die altogether.
 
I will give it a try when I get home later tonight. Will let you know results either late tonight or tomorrow

Thanks
 
Back
Top