Need Help, strange request.

Hi! My plan is to be able to use my computer on my desk, in my room. While ALSO being able to use it on my projector in a different room.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish such a feat?

edit

Just google searched it, alot of threads about this same thing out there. I'm going to do a bit more research, but I would appreciate anyone's current expert advice about the subject. Thank you!

That's correct. I want to be able to do things on my computer while my roommate plays Skyrim using XBMC in the living room. I'm not entirely sure it's possible at this moment.

I would buy an extra computer, but I have a decent computer already. A dedicated HTPC won't play skyrim like I would like it to.

A media server in a central location for sharing movies, songs and pictures, and a small computer, media box (Roku, Boxxee, WD Live) or extender (Xbox 360) in each room.

The tech exists, but I don't think it's viable. The third-party solutions involve some pretty hack-tastic OS modifications, IIRC, and Microsoft's solution requires Server 2012, Remote Desktop licensing, and stupidly-expensive Quadro cards.

Tell your cheap-ass roommate to buy his own damned PC.

Yeah, you are wanting to do two separate things on two separate outputs by two different people at the same time. Possible, but not at all feasible or easy. You can only have one mouse control at a time. You can run Microsoft VM, but that's a whole other world and complexity.

Linux allows it. You run two separate X windows (not Xinerama) and you can bind separate keyboard and mouse to each. Then you could run your Windozes in a VM, or use the wine emulator. I heard wine can run recent games like SC2 no problem. No idea about Skyrim.

The tech exists, but I don't think it's viable. The third-party solutions involve some pretty hack-tastic OS modifications, IIRC, and Microsoft's solution requires Server 2012, Remote Desktop licensing, and stupidly-expensive Quadro cards.

Tell your cheap-ass roommate to buy his own damned PC.

So you can game in RDP with a quadro card?

A media server in a central location for sharing movies, songs and pictures, and a small computer, media box (Roku, Boxxee, WD Live) or extender (Xbox 360) in each room.

this!!!!

Just use some sort of set-top box (apple tv, boxee, roku) that can run XBMC and just stream everything to that from your PC. Or if you have a box that doesn't run XBMC (360/PS3/etc) then use PS3 media server to stream it. It works great... even streaming to multiple devices simultaneously works fine

edit: I'm an idiot. Didn't realize that you both wanted to use the desktop. Maybe some sort of VM?

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all of your help! I really appreciate it.

How about, leaving my main PC in the living room, and on occasion use it in my own room.
So I guess, 1 Computer, and 2 Different monitors (Not at the same time.).

I need to find a good alternative of buying a massive DVI cord to put into the other room.

Back