Need help sharing a connection to the internet from one computer to the other.

blairellis

Limp Gawd
Preface: My apologies. I'm somewhat of a networking noob.

Heres the situation I am in. My main box is upstairs here and the modem and router are across the house and downstairs (no easy way to run cables). This computer is connected wirelessly to the internet via a Linksys PCI card. I have a spare RJ45 port on the mobo that is not being used. I have another rig that is sitting next to my main one with an open rj45 port, also on the motherboard.

Ideally I would love to just share the connection from one rj45 to the other if that is possible (I've got a crossover cable if thats what we could use?) without having to go through the hassle of buying another wireless card.

On my main rig I dualboot with XP and Mandriva 2008 so both really would need to be set up. I've got quite the task in front of me but if you guys here can't help me, Im pretty much screwed. I don't know many more people that know as much as you guys do. Thanks in advance!

What you're trying to do is possible but your main machine will be have to be up and running at all times, also I'm not too sure if you can share a connection in Mandriva, or how complicated it will be.

I know you probably don't want to spend any money, which is why you're looking at the route, but I'd recommend getting a cheap wireless router, you can flash with DD-WRT and turn it into a wireless bridge. This way the bridge is handling all the wireless config and all you have to do is run some network cables from the appliance to your machines.

yeah easy, i did it its called connection sharing..

The other alternative is get a wifi card for pc 2. or a wifi access point into a switch and your off. or an access point with a built in switch can do the trick too.. that way no need to worry about having one pc on sucking 250watts and up of power all the time..

Both are on folding all the time. Just a pain to drag one downstairs to get a new workorder.

Back