• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help setting up win7 for a dual boot

shantd

Gawd
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Messages
665
*If this isn't the best place to ask for help on this, mods, feel free to move me.

I've been running XP for as long as I can remember now, just because its been working exactly as I've wanted it to: flawlessly. But, I just bought a 6970 recently and it's time to move on to DX11 already.

I partitioned my main drive into 3 segments:

C: (30GB) - Has Vista on it
F: (30 GB) - Has XP on it
J: (405GB) - Extra Space

It's already set up as a dual boot. What I'd like to do is install Win7 where Vista is right now (C: ). I've got a win7 DVD all ready to go.

I've set up dual boots before but its been a few years and I don't want to overwrite the F: drive by mistake or my life is over, and possibly armageddon for all you people too. Can one of youse guys give me an outline of what to do? Thanks
 
Last edited:
- Before you do anything, save an Image backup of your entire Drive C and Drive F just incase something goes wrong
with your Win 7 installation.
* Saving an entire image of your drive will help you restore your files the way they are (as-is-where-is) easily.

These links will help you a lot regarding your Win 7 and XP dual boot setup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

http://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/page3.html

- Its up to you which OS you gonna install first and which drive you want it on.
 
Excellent, thank you guys. The step that concerns me is when I have to pick which hard drive partition to install to, as it doesn't give you a drive letter or the name of the HDD. It would be easy enough if the partitions were different sizes, but my partitions are both exactly 30GB each. Although, I notice that it does tell you how much free space each drive has, so I guess it should be safe to go by that.

I'll give this a shot and get back with you if I have issues. :cool:
 
Its been a while since I last did it, but I am pretty sure the drives have names.
 
If you look in Disk Management, it will list the partition order for the drive, left to right. It will be listed in that same order in win7 setup, top down.

[Start]+[R]un: diskmgmt.msc
 
Back
Top