Need help setting up new TV

RangerSVT

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I just bought this LCD TV from Bestbuy, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8794049&type=product&id=1205537712281

It's a samsung LN52A580, it's HD/1080p, 1920x1080 resolution screen. I have a standard direct t.v. reciever connected to it, but I believe it's connected via regular video (lowest connection possible on my Directv sat reciever, besides S-Video). Well basically, my screen picture is kind of analog looking, could this be because I need the HD reciever from Directv and an HDMI connection? my screen is currently configured for 16:9 and it's setup on 16:9 on my reciever, but it still looks hella analog looking...

What could possibly help ? HD Reciever w/ HDMI connection?

HD Receiver will show the full potential of the TV.
Also analog video (standard res NTSC) when blown up to 52" on an LCD will show a lot of artifacts in the video signal.

It would help to know what connection method you are using.
The only things lower than SVideo are Composite and modulated RF using the TV aerial socket/tuner.
All 3 are analogue, so its not surprising if it looks like analogue.
Moral of the story, dont use an analogue connection for satellite into a modern HDTV.
edit: except for component and VGA but it doesnt sound like you have either of those analogue methods

However it is worth noting that unless you are receiving an HD signal, the best you could "possibly" attain is the best looking analogue picture you have seen.
Some HDTVs blur TV excessively and as pointed out can give awful artifacting if sat too close (and sometimes god awful anyway) so you may be experiencing multiple limitations.

Thanks for the help guys, the type of connection I am using is the coaxial connection and tried the normal yellow (video) plug

The yellow plug is composite and the coax is a modulated RF connection.
Both are pretty bad.

The yellow plug is composite and the coax is a modulated RF connection.
Both are pretty bad.

Yeah that is what the Directv lady told me as well, I went ahead and ordered their "HD Package and HD Reciever". It comes with an HDMI cable and should be all I need, right?:confused:

Yeah thats all you need for the TV.
If you use a hifi, there should be audio connections from the satellite box.

Yeah thats all you need for the TV.
If you use a hifi, there should be audio connections from the satellite box.

Nenu, if I want to buy a dvd player to take advantage of my 1080p, do I need to buy one listing that feature along with HDMI? why do some players show 1080i and 1080p? what is the difference?? Thanks;)

1080i is interlaced while 1080p is progressive 1080i is nothing compared to 1080p imo but if your talking dvds it doesn't much matter as there all going to be upscaled which means quality won't be the best either way.

Are you sure you want a DVD player, not a Blu Ray player?
DVD is 480i/p (old TV resolution) whereas Blu Ray is up to 1080p.
There are upscaling DVD players that are specced for 1080i or p output. This is for 720p/1080i TVs and 1080p TVs.
In the early days 1080p was rare and costly so 720p/1080i upscaling players were the norm then.
Get a 1080p drive.
Note that Blu Ray drives can play DVDs too.

Do you intend to have the player in your PC or standalone?
I imagine its standalone as you are enquiring about standalone specs, but best be sure.

I didn't know a BluRay player could play regular DVD's...I think I'll go that route then. It seems that this t.v. requires high-end devices to take full advantage of it :eek: I cannot wait until I get my Directv HD Reciever though, that is going to work. I bought an Nintendo Wii today too, the quality looks kinda analog-ish, I heard Nintendo has a higher-quality cable for HDTV's, any experience with that? Is it worth it?

what do you think about this samsung bluray player? http://shop3.frys.com/product/5621421?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG it's the BDP-1500 player :eek:

I didn't know a BluRay player could play regular DVD's...I think I'll go that route then. It seems that this t.v. requires high-end devices to take full advantage of it :eek: I cannot wait until I get my Directv HD Reciever though, that is going to work. I bought an Nintendo Wii today too, the quality looks kinda analog-ish, I heard Nintendo has a higher-quality cable for HDTV's, any experience with that? Is it worth it?

what do you think about this samsung bluray player? http://shop3.frys.com/product/5621421?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG it's the BDP-1500 player :eek:

Now your getting it! That's just the way it works, when you finally go HD it is a quite expensive voyage..but totally worth it! Yes nintendo has a component cable. The only problem is the wii doesn't really output HD even over component so it still won't look as good as HD. But yes component will deffinantely be a worthwile improvement.

That samsung is nice but for the same price I'm much more interested in the Sony BDP-S350.

yeah man, a simple way to put it is: "shit in = shit out".

this is not always true, such as in the case of upscaling DVD players making standard 480i/480p content look much better at either 720p or 1080i/1080p, but there are only a few exceptions to that rule.

another way to think of it is putting regular 87 octane unleaded gasoline in a top fuel dragster.....the car most definitely has the capability to go fast, but it's never gonna do it on that shit fuel. :eek:

That samsung is nice but for the same price I'm much more interested in the Sony BDP-S350.

definitely. i was looking at both of those for Black Friday, and decided on the Sony one myself. not only does it look a lot better, physically, but it uses profile 2.0 vs. 1.1 on the Samsung. there are reports that there will be an upgrade available for the Samsung to enable 2.0, but why not just get one that's 2.0 out of the box...especially when they were both $200?

if you're confused about the different profiles, check out this article

Hey guys, one more question, when I buy a Blu-Ray dvd player and try to play regular DVD's on it, will the quality of the regular dvd playback on the Blu-Ray look better than a regular DVD played back on a regular DVD player?

Hey guys, one more question, when I buy a Blu-Ray dvd player and try to play regular DVD's on it, will the quality of the regular dvd playback on the Blu-Ray look better than a regular DVD played back on a regular DVD player?

yes, a blu-ray player will upconvert regular DVD to either 720p or 1080i/1080p, depending on which resolution tou have it set to.....it won't look quite as good as native 720p or 1080i/1080p, but it will still look much better than standard 480i/480p

I just bought a samsung 52" lcd and a samsung blu ray player a friend of mine bought just about the same only his tv is 42" all samsung I brought my Clockwork Orange dvd over to his house to help him hook it up when we watched it the picture on his looked twice as good as mine it looked like it was a live preformance what am I doing wrong

I just bought a samsung 52" lcd and a samsung blu ray player a friend of mine bought just about the same only his tv is 42" all samsung I brought my Clockwork Orange dvd over to his house to help him hook it up when we watched it the picture on his looked twice as good as mine it looked like it was a live preformance what am I doing wrong

There are different levels of TV's. Also, if that is a standard DVD, his might look a little better since the screen is smaller.

You need to give us the model numbers of both TV's so we can give you better information and advice.

Mine is the Samsung 52" LN52A580 my friends is the 46" Samsung LN46A850 it looks as if there is a haze on mine his is crystal clear alomost painfully clear it actualy changes the look of the film that it looks like live video.I have tried to adjust some of the settings but no luck I have yet to be able to activate the DNIe on mine dont know if this would help but I sure would like to know how to activate it. any help would be appriciated.Also we are both playing the same blu ray disc on the same players

Back