Need help setting up a CISCO lab

bfloresf1

n00b
Hello group, I want to set up a CISCO lab with the stuff I just acquired. I am going back to school in January to get CISCO certified.

Here is a list of what I have:

SERIES MODEL NUMBER
2900 WS-2924-XL
3100 WS-3100B
PIX-515E PIX-515E
3100 WS-3100B
2900 WS-2924-XL
VPN3000
2600 CISCO-2611
2600 CISCO-2610
2600 CISCO-2620
2600 CISCO-2610
2900 WS-C2912-XL-EN
2900 WS-C2912-XL-EN
2500 CISCO-2501
2600 CISCO-2611
2500 CISCO-2501
2950 WS-2950-24
2950 WS-2950-24
2950 WS-2950-24
1900 WS-C1924-A
1900 WS-C1912-A
1900 WS-C1912-A
1900 WS-C1912-A
3500 WS-3524-XL-EN

PERIBIT
SR50

IBM 31R3134

McDATA
4300 SPHEREON T3001437

Also a two 42U server racks

How should I go about laying out in the racks and what else do you guys think I need?
I will post some pictures as I start setting it up. Any ideas? Visio sketches?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ben

Uh, what cert are you going for? That will basically give you an idea of which pieces and parts you will want to configure and cable up. That's a ton of equipment, some of which is quite old and not terribly useful anymore.

You won't want to run more than a few things at once unless you want insane power bills.

You'd be able to set up a nice frame-relay cloud if you have all modules and cables you need.

To start I going for the CCENT, then CCNA.

I am looking at this a possible career change. I will get all the cables I need.

i suggest you start on theory...jumping in and connecting a bunch of random routers together will only serve to confuse you more.

once you have a good foundation, there are plenty of lab topologies around...google is your friend.

ok cool Vito, but how would you hook them up and what else should I get?

Yeah, if you're asking those kinds of questions. You should probably not even worry about the hardware until you spend some time hitting the books. In the books they will go over some examples of what to start out with. I think they start with switch configs, how to log in, password recovery, telent, etc. Basically, the easy shit. Good luck.

and yeah, there are plenty of resources on the net. You'd be better off searching google

So did you decided on what to start your lab with?
I started my first cisco course about 3 weeks ago and i been thinking about buying some cisco equipment too.

Right now with my Lab I'm running

3x 2600 series routers
1x 1841
2x2950s

Right now I've got enough for some of the routing labs and switch labs, I just need to get some WIC-2Ts so I can do frame relay setups and everything. I'm not even using my 1841 currently either lol.

Taking my Ccent in 2 weeks. CCNA a month after that

Right now with my Lab I'm running

3x 2600 series routers
1x 1841
2x2950s

Right now I've got enough for some of the routing labs and switch labs, I just need to get some WIC-2Ts so I can do frame relay setups and everything. I'm not even using my 1841 currently either lol.

Taking my Ccent in 2 weeks. CCNA a month after that

Sound good.

How much you think you have spent so far?.

Do you need the CCENT? I started classes straight for CCNA, the professor didnt say i would have to do the CCENT first.

CCENT is good if you're really clueless about IP networking or networking in general. Many people just don't bother with it cuz it's too simple/basic.

CCENT is good if you're really clueless about IP networking or networking in general. Many people just don't bother with it cuz it's too simple/basic.

Wut. So simple/basic eh? Damn, then I guess everyone should have one! Are you actually studying for the CCNA or have your CCNA, because that statement shows the complete opposite. If you were talking about the Network + then sure, I can agree with that.

OP, the CCENT is the first step to getting your CCNA. Pretty much, you have the option to take the CCNA @ one test, or go for the two test option which includes starting off with your CCENT. Check out this site: http://www.techexams.net/ for more info on the path you want to choose.

Wut. So simple/basic eh? Damn, then I guess everyone should have one! Are you actually studying for the CCNA or have your CCNA, because that statement shows the complete opposite. If you were talking about the Network + then sure, I can agree with that.

Calm down. He's saying for someone on a CCNA to CCNP path, it's relatively simple. Which it is. It's self-described as the introductory and theoretical side of the CCNA. Most people studying for the CCNA already have a grasp of the OSI model, DNS basics, NAT, routing, etc. At least that's been my experience.

Sound good.

How much you think you have spent so far?.

Do you need the CCENT? I started classes straight for CCNA, the professor didnt say i would have to do the CCENT first.

I've spent too much on my lab, you can get other 2600 model routers for cheaper than I got mine for.

I spent $400 on the 3x 2600 series routers and $450 on my 1841 (im eventually using it on a contract job early next year since its for a family members small business)

Borrowed a 2950 from work and paid $70 for another 2950

So I paid a little under a grand for everything without the WIC's and cabling I need

I've spent too much on my lab, you can get other 2600 model routers for cheaper than I got mine for.

I spent $400 on the 3x 2600 series routers and $450 on my 1841 (im eventually using it on a contract job early next year since its for a family members small business)

Borrowed a 2950 from work and paid $70 for another 2950

So I paid a little under a grand for everything without the WIC's and cabling I need

Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks for sharing that.

2621xms can be had for a good price.1760s are cheap too.

I would of gone that route if my buddy hadn't bought 8 routers from a school district here. His wife made him sell some off so I helped a brother out

Personally, I would start simple. Get a Router and a couple switches and go from there. If you really want to save money, use Dynamips and interface it with your router and switches with a cheap NIC card. Its good practice and fun to figure all that out :)

I'm a big fan of having some physical hardware to play with and get a feel for. You can do a TON with dynamips though

I dont know how to use all the hardware but i'm planning ahead.
I only been 3-4 weeks in the CCNA class. I have no previous networking experience but I'm the hands-on learning type of guy and by the time I know how to use a lab i would know what to buy.

Thanks for information.

let me save you money on electricity and go with GNS3/dynamips. Good excuse to build a good powerful box with tons of memory too..

Back