Need help routing VNC or RDP through Putty

First off let me say that I have limited to no knowledge of this subject. I have no problems connecting to my University's computers through Putty or VNC separately to do my work. The problem comes when I try to connect using VNC and tunnel it through Putty to get a secure connection...I have no idea how to do this. In XP life was easy and that I'd just connect through VPN and just let VNC do its thing, but in Vista my school doesn't provide a version of Cisco VPN software that's compatible yet. I usually connect through VNC on port 52 (I believe the full port is 5952) and with Putty I just use the default SSH port of 22 (or was it 23?).

So, I'm looking for any help to get VNC to connect on top of Putty after Putty has made a connection to the remote machine. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

First off let me say that I have limited to no knowledge of this subject. I have no problems connecting to my University's computers through Putty or VNC separately to do my work. The problem comes when I try to connect using VNC and tunnel it through Putty to get a secure connection...I have no idea how to do this. In XP life was easy and that I'd just connect through VPN and just let VNC do its thing, but in Vista my school doesn't provide a version of Cisco VPN software that's compatible yet. So, I'm looking for any help to get VNC to connect on top of Putty after Putty has made a connection to the remote machine. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Just as an aside based on your topic title, you don't really need to tunnel RDP (unless you're really paranoid) through SSH, since it uses RC4 encryption.

Back to the issue at hand, this is a fairly decent tutorial for setting up VNC tunneling over SSH:
http://pigtail.net/LRP/vnc/

There is a thread in the Networking FAQ sticky that taught me how to redirect ports through Putty. It deals with remote desktop redirected via SSH but the concept is the same for VNC just a different port #.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1027437130

I was banging my head on the desk because I was stumped but then after going through that thread the light bulb went on and it made perfect sense.

Back