Need help replacing a fan on Areca 1210

ZeroH

Limp Gawd
Hey All,

I could use some help finding a replacment fan for the Areca 1210 RAID card. The fan died and I'm having a hard time finding one that fits. Areca support is non-existent at this point.

The fan is 40mm and I bought a 40mm VGA card fan but that doesn't fit. The fan on the areca card looks different than the ones I've seen. This fan has a round base with the corners for the screws. All the other ones I've seen have a square base. The one I bought also is a square base and is a little wider making it difficult to line up the screw holes.

If anyone has a suggestion on a replacment fan or even a cooler/fan setup that would work, please let me know. I really need this fixed ASAP. Thanks a bunch.

Here's the cooler on the card where the fan goes.

3613660589_dde502a151_b.jpg

And this is the original fan.

3614479932_861dc971d2_b.jpg

If you can't find a replacement fan that's compatible with the installed heatsink, you could always consider something like the Zalman FB-123, although it's not so much a replacement as an alternative.

I don't know where you can get a replacement, try to contacting areca support.

Another way to go would be to just replace the whole hsf assembly with chipset/vga cooler or you can always ghetto mount 60/80mm fan using zip ties or rubber bands

Thanks for the replies. Areca support hasn't/won't reply with any info on replacement part or suggestions.

Do you guys know of any heatsink/fan replacement that is low profile? remember it has to fit in a slot.

ZeroH, I run all my Arecas fanless now, since they come with the fanless heatsinks. If you purchased yours in the past few years it should have come with two heatsinks? If not I'll dig around and see if I can get you a new one with fan.

My card is 3yrs old. I think it was one of the last models before they went fanless. I don't remember it having a second heatsink in the box. I'll look. I have the box somewhere still.

I managed to rubberband the fan I bought per axan's suggestion. I don't think it'll last very long though. Heat tends to wear out rubberbands rather quickly.

If it comes down to it, I may buy a replacement raid card... but do you guys know if the RAID volume will stay intact? Would I have to buy another Areca card with the same controller chipset?

I have a fanless heatsink from one of the 1210s, send me a pm and we'll work out shipping it to you.

Well, I got a response for Areca support. Apparently the did reply the first time I sent them an email but it got filtered into the spam folder. Did I feel like an idiot..

Anyhoo, I found my original box and it does have the fanless heatsink. Sweet! Crisis averted.

Thanks everyone for the help and the offers to send me a replacement. Love the forum!

Just remember that you still need airflow over the card. The fanless heatsinks are only recommended in cases with good local airflow. I use one of the zalman fan brackets.

Back