Need help reinstalling OEM MCE2005

BBA

Supreme [H]ardness
I am replacing the failed drive in my friends HP laptop with OEM MCE2005. She has no install media, but I have my MSDN MCE2005. I wish to use her OEM cd key for the install so I want to convert my MCE2005 to the OEM version.

What sets the version of media is the PID line in the setup.ini file, located in CD1 in the I386 directory. Making a new CD with the oem pid data in the setup.ini file will convert the CD to the OEM version.

If you have an OEM MCE2005 CD, look at the setup.ini file and let me know what the pid value is.

Thanks,

That question goes a bit beyond what I've often seen consodered as 'acceptable' here. You can google up tables of PID numbers. Prolly best you do so :)

Actually, you can google it, but nothing google returns covers MCE2005. (I tried)

Besides, you are injecting an ill informed sense of 'what is acceptable' since a PID value has nothing to do with stealing software or defeating WPA, which is still required with OEM version of MCE2005.

There are two P's in setupp.ini, Google returns much info on changing the settings

I'm not personally 'injecting' anything. I simply made comment to let you know, because I've seen quite a few threads over time get closed when they went into any sort of detail about 'hacking' an install disk for yourself.

but nothing google returns covers MCE2005. (I tried)
You lack google skillz. I just found that in about two seconds flat!

I'm not personally 'injecting' anything. I simply made comment to let you know, because I've seen quite a few threads over time get closed when they went into any sort of detail about 'hacking' an install disk for yourself.

You lack google skillz. I just found that in about two seconds flat!

Maybe I do lack google skillz... because I could not find it.

The closest I found was the XP setup.ini and instructions on how to make a new XP CD, which does not help with MCE2005. I did find some bad instructions, usind pid values that do not work for MCE2005. I guess people assume if it works for XP it works for MCE.

If you found a good result, please post it.

Back