Need help reformatting drive.

digimax

Weaksauce
I have a PII 300mhz laptop that has windows xp. I'm going to sell it, but I think it's running on windows xp corporate. I want to reformat the drive without reinstallint any OS. That way who ever buys the laptop can install their own OS. Is there a way to do that?

You could load up the xp disc and just delete the partition.
But if you really want to nuke the drive from information there is a program called dban nuke.
It wipes the drive clean of any information you have. I believe it normally runs 3 passes to ensure that any sensitive info was nuke and would be pita to retrieve from disc recovery utilities.

hulksterjoe said:
pII 300 ..running xp.. can you say S L O W ...ouch

I bought it to run a fuel management system in my modded car. But now that I'm selling the car, I no longer need the laptop. It was running pretty smooth with windows xp untill I installed the service pack 2. Then it was very slow.

Also, do you guys know if the drive is reformatted with a programs like the ones mentioned above, will it be possible to install an older version of windows like windows 98 or ME? I heard something about windows 98 not working on an NTFS file system.

The XP disk creates a partition just like MentallyNormal said but I haven't used Win98 in so long that I really don't remember if it does the same thing. You might want to use your XP disk and create a partition of FAT32 since it works on 98 and XP and then if the person wants to do NTFS then they can set that up themselves.

I went out and bought Partition Magic 8 a long time ago to do stuff like this and it works great, you won't need it for doing this but its still a great program to have around if you have multiple systems and like to mess with partitions :)

Back