Need help recommending a server

anthrex

[H]ard|Gawd
Jeez I feel all professional...yet so ghetto haha

My company is looking for a server for us to use as as a central storage sight or network drive for us (place to back up our files and share them among us). We have a pretty modest need in terms of backing up as we only have 8 people and all of our stuff backed up onto an external hdd amounts to about 200gb . So we would also like to probably have a RAID 1 or some other solution to keep a mirrored copy of it. Also we would like to use it as our own e-mail server if possible in order to keep prices down or if you guys could give any other cheap solutions that would be great. We recieve a lot of e-mails so take that into account! Obviously we will be looking to buy from a name brand company that'd provide us with technical (minimal would be all we'd really need) so anything from Dell, Hp, etc would be great. Thanks a lot guys.

Keep in mind price is a huge concern so any place we can skimp on that'd be great!

You could get a D-Link DNS-323 or a LINKSYS NAS200 and put 2 320GB drives in it in RAID 1 to meet your current backup needs, though it might be better to have more space for the future. There are surely many other options, but those two seemed nice for around $130 (drives not included).

I don't have any great suggestions for an email server, but you probably don't need anything too powerful.

Get a Dell PowerEdge. No IT experience necessary, as their Gold support will walk you through whatever you need. Of course, you'll have to pay for all that good service. So, you either pay Dell/HP, or pay a full or part time IT guy.

Thanks for advice guys. The NAS drives look interesting. Can anyone give me a recommendation for an e-mail server? Theres no chance of us getting a dedicated IT guy and how much does Gold support cost for dell?

Back