Need help Purchasing a Modem for my 655

Akram

Weaksauce
I plan on getting the D-link 655 xtreme N gigabit router I need a modem to acompony it.
I dont know anything about either but i head good things about the 655. My options are to get a modem from my HSI provider which is comcast but i prefer to just purchase my own what do you guys reccomend.

also whats a cheap/cheapish adapter you would recomend. I dont have pci-e slot available so i was thinking a usb adapter.

**side note**
Im very new to the whole wireless thing everyone ive talked to says that wireless N is the way to go. But isnt that a pretty new technology thats not perfected. Could the wireless G be just as good for my needs and possibly save me some money. If so could reccomend a good wireless G router. Im just a gamer i have really no special networking needs just a strong wirless conection to several rooms in my house.

Last edited:
For the modem, Motorola SB5120/SB6120.

As for wireless it really depends. For gaming Id have to recommend against wireless at all because of latency issues.

802.11n is not finalized, but it does offer better range and higher transfer rates. Your router/AP offers N. . . if you need N just go with something from d-link and go that route.

deciding g vs n is really up to you.

I'm running the same router with the SB5120, never had an issue. I do recommend purchasing your own modem as Comcast will charge you monthly to 'rent' their modem ($6.00-8.00 I believe?). I'd recommend checking e-Bay.

Since Comcast is your provider, check to see if they plan on rolling out Docsis 3 in your area. If so....I recommend investing in a 6120. Yeah they're pricey right now since they're just emerging on the market (approx 100 bucks)..but you'll be ready to enjoy those high speeds.

If Docsis 3 won't be in your area soon...you can save some money and pickup a prior Docsis 2 Surfboard. The 5120 models are pretty much flushed from the retail channels now, but you can still find 5101 models...Newegg is dumping the remainders of those models very cheap right now, like 37 or 40 bucks right now.

The reasoning behind getting G for me is value. Is it possible to get comprable speeds with G and save money. I dont need anything extreme and even if the Docis 3 is released in my area i have no plans on ordrering that level of service. Instead I plan on just sticking with the standard 7mb speeds that they offer.

Can anyone reccomend a solid adapter for this setup like i said i dont have an extra pci-e so im leaning towards usb.

whats better the 5101 or the 5120?

The 5120 is better, but it's been discontinued to make way for the 6120, so it's kind of hard to come by right now. Don't get my wrong the 5101 isn't a bad piece of hardware, the 5120 is just better.

As for adapters, I have no idea. I've never had luck with USB adapters and tend to stay clear from them. Hopefully someone who pops into this thread will have a recommendation on that.

EDT:Just noticed you keep mentioning no PCI-E... do you have any PCI slots open? There's not too many PCI-E cards, there are alot of PCI cards. . .

The 5120 is better, but it's been discontinued to make way for the 6120, so it's kind of hard to come by right now. Don't get my wrong the 5101 isn't a bad piece of hardware, the 5120 is just better.

As for adapters, I have no idea. I've never had luck with USB adapters and tend to stay clear from them. Hopefully someone who pops into this thread will have a recommendation on that.

EDT:Just noticed you keep mentioning no PCI-E... do you have any PCI slots open? There's not too many PCI-E cards, there are alot of PCI cards. . .

I agree... get a PCI adapter... the USB are junk IMO. If your range is a bit low, slap a huge antenna on it(the PCI adapter that is).

Back