Need help, problem with Ryzen 7600 IMC or memory?

lRaphl

Weaksauce
Hi, I built a Ryzen 7600 system at the end of May (roughtly 45 days ago) and it has been working perfectly fine until this weekend. My memory was setup using the EXPO profile (VDDIO_MEM& 2 others related @ 1.35V and SOC 1.25V) and no overclocking was done at all. The Motherboard has the latest non-beta BIOS installed (1.24) and I updated it before even installing Windows. I made sure to load the default settings before and after the flash.

At first it started to not boot on the first try and having windows going into repair mode. Then stoped booting at all unless I was reseting the BIOS to default and putting back the settings. Yesterday, it was booting with a SOC voltage increased from 1.25V to 1.27V but I had first to boot it with default memory setting, then finding a safe SOC voltage for the EXPO profile to work. Now today I'm back to square one with it not wanting to boot anymore. HWInfo is telling me that the SOC voltage is 0.01V lower than what I set it in the BIOS so 1.27V was showing as 1.26V in HWInfo. Still, a lot of people seems to be good with a SOC voltage of 1.2V or even lower and I'm well under the maximum recommended of 1.3V.

Clearly I need to do a waranty claim for the CPU or the RAM but I'm not sure which one is the real culprit. Since I have to increase the SOC voltage or decrease the RAM speed, I'm tending toward the CPU IMC not acting as it should but would really like opinions on this from people with some experience with these CPUs and DDR5.

I don't have any other system to cross test the CPU or the RAM unfortunatly. My last build was my i7 2600K with DDR3 and I know no one with a new AM5 system or even DDR5.

What do you think is the cause of the problem?

System specs:
ASRock X670E Pro RS
AMD Ryzen 7600
Noctua NH-D15
G.SKILL Flare X5 Series AMD EXPO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 (F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5)
ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom
WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 1TB
Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000, 1000W 80+ Gold

G.SKILL QVL The motherboard in on the QVL of the memory.

Need more info to help me? Let me know and I will provide it gladly. Thanks!

Ok, now it won't post anymore. Even after clearing the BIOS (remove power, remove battery, short jumper, wait 10-15 min, put everything back).

Try posting to bios with just the cpu and one stick of ram. It has iGPU so no graphics card or drives hooked up at all.

Will try that tonight. Will try all RAM possibilities also. I will report back once it's done.

Ok, here are the tests I've donne. All of them gave the same result. The CPU and DRAM LEDs stays on all the time and no post or boot.

1. Removed the graphics card and made sure the RAM was well seated in banks A2 & B2.

2. Tried RAM in banks A1 & B1.

3-10. Tried each stick in each memory slot.

11. Cleared BIOS again and retried memory in banks A2 & B2.

Each time waiting 3+ minutes to be sure the memory had time to be trained by the system.

Here is a picture of the LEDs with the error status:
PXL_20230711_194250295.jpg

Any more Idea? What do you think is the part(s) in fault?

Thanks!

Sounds like a RAM issue. See if you can borrow some DDR5 from a friend, for testing.

It appears your Bios may have gotten corrupted. Your board has a bios Flashback button. I'd download the latest Bios from Asrock and folllow the directions to flash the bios with the button.

Have you checked the socket pins? Reseat the CPU and check the pins carefully.

I checked the socket pins and the CPU pads, all is looking like new. I did a RMA with AMD and GSkill. AMD already accepted the RMA. Waiting for GSkill's answer. I won't waste my time much longuer on this.

Thanks!

Will do it if the new CPU/RAM doesn't give any positive result.

But I won't waste a full week trying to make it work. It will already take a long time to get the parts back from RMA. I'm sending everything today and won't see anything back for what? Over 2-3 weeks for sure.

New CPU & new RAM came back from RMA. Everything is now working fine! No need to reflash the BIOS or anything.

The boot time is also quite a bit faster than with the previous CPU/RAM combo. Makes me think there was a problem right from the start. My only regret is that I was unable to determine if it was the CPU or the RAM that was the culprit but my guess still is on the CPU since I had to play with SOC voltage before everything stoped working.

Back