Need help populating css servers!

xxlap1xx

n00b
Joined
Apr 3, 2011
Messages
17
So i got fios recently and i decided to host some cz and css servers at home.. mainly because i want to put my extra upload bandwidths into good use.. i host them from my home server pc which is running 24/7.. had the servers up for a few days.. it's been slow recently still... any suggestions of how to boost up new servers??

These are my current servers..

let me know if those names are even decent lol.. and let me know if you're interested in any of those servers :)

any help will be appreciated.. thanks in advance
 
So i got fios recently and i decided to host some cz and css servers at home.. mainly because i want to put my extra upload bandwidths into good use.. i host them from my home server pc which is running 24/7.. had the servers up for a few days.. it's been slow recently still... any suggestions of how to boost up new servers??

These are my current servers..

let me know if those names are even decent lol.. and let me know if you're interested in any of those servers :)

any help will be appreciated.. thanks in advance


Reported to Verizon. Breach of TOS. :D



Even if they don't listen when I call them they will most likely shut down your internet service if they're consistently populated.
 
Am i not suppose to host servers at home?

Nope. If you do that you must get one of their commercial packages (Big $).


However, i'm not sure how strict they are on it. If they catch you they won't be happy but i'm not sure how much they look for it. Keep in mind they can void your contract if they catch you.
 
But the thing is that i'm not making $$ off those servers tho..

I don't think that matters. I think it's just because if they didn't put that in there everyone would run some type of server which would kill their bandwidth.
 
I don't think that matters. I think it's just because if they didn't put that in there everyone would run some type of server which would kill their bandwidth.

i see.. but the thing is that i got a few frds w/ their cs servers populated for almost two years and no problem to them.. and i just wanted to join this game lol.. they're on fios too :)
 
They wont send you a notice until you start using obscene amounts of upload bandwidth, like 100+GB. Alot of it factors into tickrate and server settings. If you run any custom maps then I highly suggest you buy hosting elsewhere and setup the sv_downloadurl for that. Now if someone manually reports your IP then they could take action but the chances are rare. Hell I have broken 300GB download on Comcast and they yet to send me notices saying im over the limit of 250GB/month.
 
i see.. but the thing is that i got a few frds w/ their cs servers populated for almost two years and no problem to them.. and i just wanted to join this game lol.. they're on fios too :)

As I said, i'm not sure how closely they watch this stuff. I know all of the contracts for verizon (and probably all companies) clearly say a home connection should not be used for any type of server. If you don't believe me look it up.


As far as getting people in there. You need something to set it apart. CSS is popular enough that any mid to high end server will destroy a home server. It also depends on how you host it. If I remember correctly, the Dedicated server host on steam only allows you to host in 33tic. Why would someone join an empty 33tic server when they could join a nearly full 100tic 1000FPS boosted server? Not to be a buzz kill but you probably won't have a populated server unless you have a solid group of people (like a team) willing to sit in there as a few people trickle in.
 
They wont send you a notice until you start using obscene amounts of upload bandwidth, like 30+GB. A CSS server on average probably uses no more than 1-2GB with a fully populated 32 man server. If you run any custom maps then I highly suggest you buy hosting elsewhere and setup the sv_downloadurl for that. Now if someone manually reports your IP then they could take action but the chances are rare. Hell I have broken 300GB download on Comcast and they yet to send me notices saying im over the limit of 250GB/month.

I see.. yea i have my sv_downloadurl set to my file hosting site (just for the sake of faster downloads).. and i'm thinking the samething too.. cs servers are really light.. and also, my package offers unlimited bandwidth, so i don't see the reason why they would send me any notices of using too much bandwidth.. my speed is 43/33.. and u don't expect ppl w/ this kind of speed chicken out their bandwidth..
 
Your ISP may say unlimited but read the contract fine print. It usually specifies a cap that although they say only 1-2% of people reach it's still a cap and they can terminate your service. AFAIK if you have a CSS server running fully populated at 32 people, you can possibly blow past 100GB/month so you just need to monitor bandwidth usage and see how it goes. Most likely you wont break 20-30GB unless it becomes very very active.
 
I see.. yea i have my sv_downloadurl set to my file hosting site (just for the sake of faster downloads).. and i'm thinking the samething too.. cs servers are really light.. and also, my package offers unlimited bandwidth, so i don't see the reason why they would send me any notices of using too much bandwidth.. my speed is 43/33.. and u don't expect ppl w/ this kind of speed chicken out their bandwidth..

Most times "unlimited" does not literally mean "Unlimited". Unfortunately. I agree with you, you pay for it so who cares how you use it. But they clearly put in the service agreement that you CANNOT use it this way. I'm not trying to scare you into not doing it, I just wanted to bring it to your attention because I also have FIOS and once intended to do this just because I could but I came to the conclusion it was not worth the risk because i'd rage if I lost FIOS. If this doesn't work out I think you can probably get a decent server for like $1/slot.
 
Also I believe CSS is also pretty split on data transfer rates. Not exactly sure but some calculations can come out to 300GB of data for constant usage. I don't think anyone has an exact math but at 300GB upload I can see your ISP start getting a bit suspcious.
 
As I said, i'm not sure how closely they watch this stuff. I know all of the contracts for verizon (and probably all companies) clearly say a home connection should not be used for any type of server. If you don't believe me look it up.


As far as getting people in there. You need something to set it apart. CSS is popular enough that any mid to high end server will destroy a home server. It also depends on how you host it. If I remember correctly, the Dedicated server host on steam only allows you to host in 33tic. Why would someone join an empty 33tic server when they could join a nearly full 100tic 1000FPS boosted server? Not to be a buzz kill but you probably won't have a populated server unless you have a solid group of people (like a team) willing to sit in there as a few people trickle in.

I see.. yea it really depends on how strict they are.. after all this is just personal use.. unless it's really sucking up the bandwidths which is impossible because i do have members in my house that shares this connection, and i can't let that happen..

the servers are running 100tics, but it's only running at 300fps due to my machine can't handle the highs.. and i've heard that steam restricted the max fps that you can set on servers to something i forgot.. gatta look that up..
 
Most times "unlimited" does not literally mean "Unlimited". Unfortunately. I agree with you, you pay for it so who cares how you use it. But they clearly put in the service agreement that you CANNOT use it this way. I'm not trying to scare you into not doing it, I just wanted to bring it to your attention because I also have FIOS and once intended to do this just because I could but I came to the conclusion it was not worth the risk because i'd rage if I lost FIOS. If this doesn't work out I think you can probably get a decent server for like $1/slot.

agreed.. they know how to slip around their contracts a lot better than we do.. sucks right? i just wana have some fun :(
 
Also I believe CSS is also pretty split on data transfer rates. Not exactly sure but some calculations can come out to 300GB of data for constant usage. I don't think anyone has an exact math but at 300GB upload I can see your ISP start getting a bit suspcious.

300GB is not true.. my frds would've been caught long time ago of they constantly hit 300GB uploads per month.. unless all those servers are constantly populated, which is impossible.. if one of two of them are populates, i'll shut down the rest anyways due to my celeron won't be able to handle it.. wish they'll be populated 24/7, but that's just not possible for me :(

Heres a link that tells you how much bandwidth a player consumes by default and how you can limit their consumption of the servers bandwidth depending on the setup of the server..
 
Last edited:
300GB is not true.. my frds would've been caught long time ago of they constantly hit 300GB uploads per month.. unless all those servers are constantly populated, which is impossible.. if one of two of them are populates, i'll shut down the rest anyways due to my celeron won't be able to handle it.. wish they'll be populated 24/7, but that's just not possible for me :(

Heres a link that tells you how much bandwidth a player consumes by default and how you can limit their consumption of the servers bandwidth depending on the setup of the server..

You're running it off a celeron? Out of curiosity, what are your server specs?
 
300GB is not true.. my frds would've been caught long time ago of they constantly hit 300GB uploads per month.. unless all those servers are constantly populated, which is impossible.. if one of two of them are populates, i'll shut down the rest anyways due to my celeron won't be able to handle it.. wish they'll be populated 24/7, but that's just not possible for me :(

Heres a link that tells you how much bandwidth a player consumes by default and how you can limit their consumption of the servers bandwidth depending on the setup of the server..

Like i said it depends on your ISP. Comcast hasn't given me shit about it but a few other ISP's I have heard will send you cease and desist notices.
 
Back
Top