Need help picking out a true 5.1 headset.

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking at this Tritton AX51Pro, but I don't like reading reviews of crappy wiring and terrible support.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235007

So, I need your help in picking something out that is nice but isn't going to break the bank.

Requirements:
Multiple Drivers, not that software positional audio junk
3.5mm input
Not going to break in a few months like some people report the Tritton ones doing
Attached mic (if it's detachable that's ok, but I will never detach it)
~$100-$130

I wouldn't spend money on a "5.1" headset myself. But just to help you out, apparently the Roccat Kave is pretty darn good.
If you want to up the game a bit here are the following that i've used and found people should get if they want to get into headsets for gaming

-- Corsair HS1
-- Sennheiser PC 333D
-- Logitech G35

I've heard great things about all 3 of those, but those are all USB headsets. The only one that can use 3.5mm is the Sennheiser one, but in order to get true surround audio you have to use the USB input instead of the pair of 3.5mm jacks (2 channel audio plus mic). I'm not wanting USB because I also use speakers and want to be able to use them without disconnecting the headset, and on occaison, use them both at the same time.

I wouldn't spend money on a "5.1" headset myself. But just to help you out, apparently the Roccat Kave is pretty darn good.
If you want to up the game a bit here are the following that i've used and found people should get if they want to get into headsets for gaming

-- Corsair HS1
-- Sennheiser PC 333D
-- Logitech G35

Just checked out a review on the Roccat Kave, these look promising, but all the vendors are in the UK or Hong Kong. I'm not opposed to overseas shipping, but in case of issues I tend to preffer domestic. Any other suggestions?

I don't know.

IMO, that "software positional audio junk" that you mention provides a much better surround sound experience than attempting to cram multiple drivers into one headset.

If you are spending $100 on a headset with 6 speakers in it, you are paying $16.66 per speaker and thats gonna sound like junk. Where, with a stereo set, you are paying $50 per driver which is going to sound so much better.

You may also notice that no Hi-Fi headphone brand sells a hardware-built surround sound headphone with more than 2 drivers. It's because it really doesn't work. There is no room for that many drivers and how can you put a driver in front of you in the center of behind you. That's just not how sound works.

You only have 2 ears, and they can't actually tell where sound is physically coming from. Your brain does all the positional sound calculation based on tiny audio cues embedded within the audio wave. For example, audio to the left side sounds louder in one ear and also has a delay between ears.

Audio behind you has to travel through your ear-lobes which distorts it in a way that tells your brain it's behind you and not in front of you, etc.

Check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Headphone

And listen to this to hear firsthand that it is indeed very possible and very convincing:
http://mp3skull.com/mp3/virtual_haircut.html

I bought a SPEEDLINK Medusa NX 5.1 out of curiosity a while back. The headset itself is of very good quality and is comfortable, but the "remote" it comes with feels a bit cheap.

The microphone is well built, and, while a bit on the sensitive side, it is very clear.

I find the 3D sound to be very convincing, especially in games with EAX and a Creative (yes, I know... Forte) card. (The headset connects to the 5.1 outputs of your sound card.) The headset's "sub" can be a bit rattly on poorer quality video files, and it does add a bit of rumble... though this should in no way be a deciding factor.

Overall, it is a very interesting headset, and the sound quality is great for 5.1 movies and games.

That said, just about every "audiophile" headphone I own bests it quite easily, even for 3D sound. Granted, most of these headphones cost many times the Medusa's price.

All in all, this is the second best headset I have ever owned or tried. (The best being the MMX 300, which is significantly more expensive.) You can, however, do far better with sound quality from a pair of entry-level "audiophile" headphones (around $100) with a separate microphone.

Stay the F away from 5.1 headsets. Go with Stereo and you will get better sound. If you must have "surround" use the 3D CMSS feature on the X-Fi. I would not bother personally. Not being a snob, just know from experience. 5.1 headsets are a compromise.

Unless they make one with earcups the size of volleyballs to accommodate real drivers....the speakers will be tiny crappers.

I've got a set of Sharkoon Extatics... 5.1 gaming is great, but not as crystal clear as my stereo speakers. In addition, they do come with a breakout box that supports optical/coaxial/5.1 (using the multi colored mini jacks).

Sharkoon Xtatic 5.1 and Triton AV Pro have the same control box the only difference is one has open air speakers. The 5.1 control box settings were garbage for AV Pro and I am positive about them working the same for either headset. I won't even think about buying the Xtatics because of the ground signal on the led dongle for the xbox mic input. Just by placing your thumb over the mic hole caused the hum to get even louder then what was playing. Also I was lead to believe that the digital out for the ever ageing elite pro xfi would work with 5.1 settings but did not so the sound transfered in stereo and I could not configure the settings anywhere near as nice as the sound card software if the sound came out in only 2 channels using a digital cord. Which is why they are in the corner collecting dust.

Now that I have been using the same pair of Kinyo 5.1 KY-100 picked up off newegg special for like $40 years and years ago and they are falling apart but they are total comfort and the bass response is also very nice because of the "vibration speakers". The AVpro is a baby toy when compared to these.

The reason I choose to buy 5.1 again is because of the speaker that vibrates with bass perfectly. Right now on amazon you can pick up the hd595 for $140. What do you think about this decision? I was thinking about picking up these and using a scythe kama bay mini amp to power them. Because The cheapest price I have found for a set of Roccat Kave phones is $120 and you buy them internationaly. The downside about using stereo speakers is not having anything close to the bass response in comparison to a rumble you can feel.

The Roccat Kave has 3 40mm instead of 1 like the Kinyo shown in this picture.
img0007954.jpg

Sharkoon Xtatic 5.1 and Triton AV Pro have the same control box the only difference is one has open air speakers. The 5.1 control box settings were garbage for AV Pro and I am positive about them working the same for either headset. I won't even think about buying the Xtatics because of the ground signal on the led dongle for the xbox mic input. Just by placing your thumb over the mic hole caused the hum to get even louder then what was playing. Also I was lead to believe that the digital out for the ever ageing elite pro xfi would work with 5.1 settings but did not so the sound transfered in stereo and I could not configure the settings anywhere near as nice as the sound card software if the sound came out in only 2 channels using a digital cord. Which is why they are in the corner collecting dust.

Now that I have been using the same pair of Kinyo 5.1 KY-100 picked up off newegg special for like $40 years and years ago and they are falling apart but they are total comfort and the bass response is also very nice because of the "vibration speakers". The AVpro is a baby toy when compared to these.

The reason I choose to buy 5.1 again is because of the speaker that vibrates with bass perfectly. Right now on amazon you can pick up the hd595 for $140. What do you think about this decision? I was thinking about picking up these and using a scythe kama bay mini amp to power them. Because The cheapest price I have found for a set of Roccat Kave phones is $120 and you buy them internationaly. The downside about using stereo speakers is not having anything close to the bass response in comparison to a rumble you can feel.

The Roccat Kave has 3 40mm instead of 1 like the Kinyo shown in this picture.
img0007954.jpg

Dude, ever hear Beyer 770s? I don't like them overall but if you want BASS.....

Bottom line is some 5.1 are good for games b/c of their directional sound. That is it. Compared to decent stereo headphones or speakers they pale.

I was looking at this Tritton AX51Pro, but I don't like reading reviews of crappy wiring and terrible support.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235007

So, I need your help in picking something out that is nice but isn't going to break the bank.

Requirements:
Multiple Drivers, not that software positional audio junk
3.5mm input
Not going to break in a few months like some people report the Tritton ones doing
Attached mic (if it's detachable that's ok, but I will never detach it)
~$100-$130

I have the newer version of those Trittons which are better than the originals since they don't break as easily or creak. The support is so slow you'll forget you even tried to contact them. The wiring is a bit of a pita and sort of anchors you to a location because of the 5.1 decoder (The analogue connector it comes with will allow you to plug them in wherever you have 5.1 analogue output). if you actually end up getting that set, taking a few minutes to set the delays make the positional audio a bit more convincing.

The positional sound does seem to work but I could not really say if it is the result of the separate drivers within the cup or a function of the cues that SirMaster described. Ultimately I find the audio experience better with higher quality stereo headphones. I still use the Trittons occasionally but usually end up with the DT 990s on because the sound quality is so much better.

Back