Need help picking new CPU

dtess17

2[H]4U
Have the Opteron 170 seen in sig. It's feeling a little long in the tooth, and i'm basically in a dead socket now. I've decided to come back to Intel for this upcoming build. Any proc i buy at stock speeds need to crush this opty. I've been looking at the 6750, 6850 figuring they would likely do a pretty sweet job, and their price is pretty good too.

Computer is used for web surfing, gaming, music, movies, chat, and general work use.

I really don't do any video editing or anything on those lines, which makes me think i don't NEED a quad right now, although i will more than likely get one based of Penryn down the road.
So is it worth it to pay the extra money to get a native 3.0Ghz chip? I do plan on doing some OCing, although i'll be on air, so nothing to crazy. I'd like this machine to be quieter, and put out less heat than my current box. I would like to end up in the 3.6 range ( yes i know any OC is a gift)

Thoughts?

E6750 has been shown to have very similar OC potential to E6850, so I would not buy the more expensive chip. If you're going to pay ~$300 for a CPU the quad makes sense, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for a dual.

E6750 has been shown to have very similar OC potential to E6850, so I would not buy the more expensive chip. If you're going to pay ~$300 for a CPU the quad makes sense, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for a dual.

So you think i'll be able to OC both the chips pretty much to the same point?

On a side note, i notice you got the 750watt PCP&C unit, I was looking at that unit, the one thing that was keeping me away is a good amount of reviews list it as a rather loud unit when under load. What have you experienced?

So you think i'll be able to OC both the chips pretty much to the same point?

On a side note, i notice you got the 750watt PCP&C unit, I was looking at that unit, the one thing that was keeping me away is a good amount of reviews list it as a rather loud unit when under load. What have you experienced?

Yes, the E6750 and E6850 have been shown to have similar OCing potential. You should be able to hit 3.6Ghz with either chip, and probably close to 4Ghz if you're willing to feed it enough voltage and have good cooling. It is of course luck of the draw.

I don't feel it's loud at all. I do have a lot of fans but they're all fairly low speed. I don't hear it or feel it's loud enough to 'stand out'.

Asus is my board of choice, and i just picked up a thermalright ultra 120 extreme

ASUS boards are stupid-expensive and their customer service is some of the worst in the industry.

I don't feel it's loud at all. I do have a lot of fans but they're all fairly low speed. I don't hear it or feel it's loud enough to 'stand out'.

ASUS boards are stupid-expensive and their customer service is some of the worst in the industry.

The Blitz is winning awards all over the place for being one of the best P35 boards out there. I get a pretty health discount from work on them too. I've had nothing but great results using them. Gigabyte has let me down many times. I know their line has been pretty popular but i can't see myself buying another one of their boards...i've had 4 fail me.

I was looking at the Abit IP35 Pro, but it just seems like the Blitz is the overall better board.

There is a reason the Gigabyte P35-DS3 Series and the Abit IP35 Pro as well as the Abit IP35-E have been recommended here, and its because they all overclock well and work fantastic. The ASUS boards look nice, and win awards but all boards win awards... I am with silent-circuit.

board aside.

SO if going dual core, the E6750 is likely the best choice i'm going to see?

The 6850 might give you a little more OC headroom, but with good RAM an E6750 will hit 3.6Ghz without much trouble and I personally don't think that the extra $100 for a 6850 is worthwhile.

Short answer: Yes.

The 6850 might give you a little more OC headroom, but with good RAM an E6750 will hit 3.6Ghz without much trouble and I personally don't think that the extra $100 for a 6850 is worthwhile.

Short answer: Yes.
I was looking at getting PC 6400. I guess i could get something better.

Back