• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help picking a 4P Supermicro board

Prelude514

n00b
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
29
Hi guys,

This thread is a continuation of http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1741680 this thread. Wanted to start my own to avoid more thread jacking of brilong's thread.


Well, here goes. I just received an H8QGi-F-O from Wiredzone. It's come to my attention through the above mentioned thread that the "GL" series will offer better power delivery for CPUs and possibly better overclocking potential than the "Gi" series. Had I been intelligent and done my homework beforehand, I would have ordered a "GL" board to begin with.

Wiredzone will exchange the board for whichever I want. They are just checking with Supermicro to see if they can waive the 15% restocking fee before I proceed.

My choices in order of preference, price not a factor at this point:

http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-H8QGL-IF+-Motherboard-SWTX-w--Quad-1944-pin-S-G34~10021077~0.htm

http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-H8QGL-6F+-Motherboard-SWTX-w--Quad-1944-pin-S-G34~10021075~0.htm

http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-H8QGL-IF-Motherboard-SWTX-w--Quad-1944-pin-S-G34~10021076~0.htm

Please feel free to suggest better alternatives considering the criteria below.

Is one of these boards better than the other? Do they all support the same [H] overclocking BIOS features? All I want is the best power delivery and overclocking potential. If HT can be used to link up 2 boards for 8P folding eventually then that's something I'd consider doing, unless 2x 4P is just a better option in which case HT is not needed. Really doubt I'll need PCIe since this rig will be running Linux thus no GPU folding possible.

Here's the rest of the components already ordered, feel free to make suggestions here too:

CPU (4x): 6128 (55$ a pop pushed me to build this, but will upgrade eventually)
RAM (8x): http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=349
HSF (4x): http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=39&lng=en (2x arrived, 2x backordered)
PSU: http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-ATX12V-EPS12V-Power-Supply/dp/B004ETEFTK (Already own)
SSD: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=78766

Will be folding nekkid for now, possibly forever. Might get a case if the GF finds it's too much of an eye sore.

Greatly appreciate any info and suggestions from the [H]4P folding master race. :D
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am currently have 4 H8QGL-iF+ boards and love them. Push my chips to its max with [H] bios.
 
The difference is PCI-e slots and an SAS controller, neither of which help with folding (ignoring GPUs for the moment.) Given that, the second board is definately out - why pay for the SAS if you won't use it? Then you are down to a PCI-e slots or no PCI-e slots decision. Will there ever come a day when a hybrid 4p SMP/GPU folder is the thing to have? I doubt it, but who knows. Personally, I would go with the cheapest one (and already did a while ago - that is one of the boards I have right now.)
 
Thanks musky, appreciate the info.

Unfortunately SM won't waive the restocking fee so I'll be sticking with my HQ8Gi-F as it would cost me about 300$ all in all to make the switch.

Just opened up the package, wow is the board ever huge! :eek:

Here are a few pictures, along with some questions:


Hello beautiful!


Would there be any benefit to cooling this bare die chip? What is it, exactly?


How about cooling the mosfets and VRMs? Any suggestions for heatsinks? (The mosfets are the smaller chips, right?)


Size comparison


So excited! Just hope everything else arrives quickly. :D

Edit:

Damn sbinh!! 4? Want to trade one for a Gi? :D Just kidding.
 
"How about cooling the mosfets and VRMs? Any suggestions for heatsinks? (The mosfets are the smaller chips, right?)"
Yes, if you plan to do any sort of OCing I would recommend cooling them. Most people use: http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm
2 of the CPUs already have half there mosfets covered.
 
Hmmm... It seems they are discontinued? Can't find them anywhere. Do you have a source I can buy from?
 
If you haven't pulled the trigger on the 6128s yet, I will beat that price by a couple bucks on 4 of them
 
Currently building an expandable rack for my 4P and future 4Ps out of stainless and aluminum in my garage, will post pics later if there's interest.
 
The bare chip JL82576EB is an Intel Gigabit controller chip. Shouldn't need cooling, but if it gets warm it certainly won't hurt.

H.
 
How about cooling the mosfets and VRMs? Any suggestions for heatsinks? (The mosfets are the smaller chips, right?)


Edit:

Damn sbinh!! 4? Want to trade one for a Gi? :D Just kidding.


I'd also add that yes, you will want to cool those.

Fans...you want air flow.
2013-01-17%2020.53.51.jpg

VRM coolers-lowest price shipped(USA)
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/enbcbmlowprf.html
the fans are just some 92mm fans from a dell, removed the thermistor so they run full tilt.

2013-01-20%2014.44.01.jpg

Do note the gap under the board. You want air flow all around.

Also DO ensure there is airflow under the board.
these standoffs will work:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00137W5OI/ Note: I paid $8 shipped
these screws:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MN3J7Q
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For those that have put heatsinks on the VRMs, did you remove the stock heatsinks and use something like Enzotech BCC9 to cover all the chips? I ask because the MOS-C1 seems to be mostly unavailable in the UK at the moment.

This is what I'm talking about:
SM%2520stock%2520VRM%2520cooler.PNG
 
For those that have put heatsinks on the VRMs, did you remove the stock heatsinks and use something like Enzotech BCC9 to cover all the chips? I ask because the MOS-C1 seems to be mostly unavailable in the UK at the moment.

This is what I'm talking about:
SM%2520stock%2520VRM%2520cooler.PNG

CO has been discussing that. I have heat sinks I cut down that might fit those as well:p
 
Erm... "bare die" FC-BGA chip is the Ethernet controller -- nothing interesting either way :)
 
Back
Top