Need help overclocking

TheGooch69

Gawd
I checked the sticky guide but it's too technical for me. My CPU is in my sig, Conroe model.

I just want to overclock my CPU a bit using nvidia's control panel. Here is a screenshot of my current settings.

nvidiacontrolpanel.jpg

How much should I adjust the Refrence Clock bar? I don't know how far I can go without melting my system. I currently have the stock fan on the CPU but I have a huge area fan placed on the side of my computer cooling everything.

Thanks in advance and I am sorry for being such a noob. :eek:

Re-read the sticky until you understand it (post questions on part's that you don't.) You can fux0r your system by O/C improperly, so this is not something you want to do just by sliding some bars around that you have no idea WTF they do and hope for the best. The "reference clock" = your FSB. We can't tell you what to set it to because each computer, even those with the same components, is different. With O/C, it's all about increasing things a little bit at a time, testing for stability, and repeating until you hit the limits of your system.

Luder[PAK9];1032002697 said:
Re-read the sticky until you understand it (post questions on part's that you don't.) You can fux0r your system by O/C improperly, so this is not something you want to do just by sliding some bars around that you have no idea WTF they do and hope for the best. The "reference clock" = your FSB. We can't tell you what to set it to because each computer, even those with the same components, is different. With O/C, it's all about increasing things a little bit at a time, testing for stability, and repeating until you hit the limits of your system.

Alright. If you were me, at what small increments would you overclock?

If I was you I would re-read the guide till you understand what you are trying to do. Would you ask somebody how to operate on your own body so you can "change" something? It's no different. It is not that hard to understand. Read it till you do. You need to understand the CONCEPT, then you will have an idea what you need to do. And Ntune is NOT the way to do it. If you read the guide, you would understand that.

Seriously. If the guide is too confusing, then you need to increase your knowledge before you try messing with stuff. All chips are different. What works on one person's rig may not work on yours....

Dude, all the guy who said BIOS FTW is trying to tell you is that nvidia's control panel should not be used to overclock. Even though it looks pretty and has cute little sliders it can be finicky and cause problems so you should stay away from using software to change BIOS settings if at all possible.

Yep BIOS ftw, not NVidias tools.
I have the Gigabyte X38 DS4 and have used the tool that Gigabyte supply with success to test overclocks. I then apply them in the BIOS.
The tool does lie though and tells me my CPU is running a lot faster than it really is.

NVidias tools can be real trouble, if you dont want your head frying, your best keeping away from them.

As suggested, read the guides and anything else that helps you and understand what you are doing.
We can help with particular issues but you need to know what you are doing first.
Dont ask us for the basic information that is published EVERYWHERE for you to read.

Before you even read the stickies or newbie OC guides, make sue you know how to reset your CMOS so when you make a change and the system won't boot, you can fix it. Once you know you can do that, as long as you don't go crazy you aren't took likely to do anything you can't fix yourself.

Back