Need help overclocking opteron 170 on DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
I need help overclocking my Opteron 170. I have it at 2.4ghz right now (240 x 10) The only thing I change the was the 200 -> 240 and didn't touch anything else. I tried going to 260 and raising the cpu voltage up to 1.475 and it still didn't post. Is there anything else I need to change to get this thing to boot at 2.6ghz. Please help me out because Im not very familiar with this bios.

You'll have to take memory speeds into account as well. I'm surprised that the PC3200 was good for booting at 240, but not at all surprised that it won't boot at 260. The best thing to do would be to learn about the BIOS settings and set a memory divider. A really good A64 overclock guide can be found at eclipseoc.com.

First things to do:

1. Find your RAM divider option (DRAM ratio, DRAM speed, something like that) and lower it to 1/2 (DDR200, 1:2, etc).
2. Find your HTT/LDT multiplier and lower it to 3x
3. Start overclocking.

My guess is that your RAM is going too fast. Once you do the above, you should have a lot more room to overclock.

Ok so far I got it too 2.7ghz 270 x 10 @1.45v with HT Link at 3x. I set the "mem dividier" to 3/4 giving 202.5 mhz for the memory, but when I load cpu-z, it says its at 192.9? Why is that? Do these settings seem ago, can you make any suggestions or changes I should make?

Nirad9er said:
Ok so far I got it too 2.7ghz 270 x 10 @1.45v with HT Link at 3x. I set the "mem dividier" to 3/4 giving 202.5 mhz for the memory, but when I load cpu-z, it says its at 192.9? Why is that? Do these settings seem ago, can you make any suggestions or changes I should make?

Eclipse knows why...and so does Abideordie, but I forgot exactly what it was.

Nirad9er said:

Damn you made it to 2.7 at 1.45! Nice job, wish mine could reach that high. You can always try a higher divider if you know how high your ram will go as well.

At first, the only thing I was confused about was that in the bios for the memory divider, it had the speed in mhz next to each divider. At first I thought that that was the only speed I could run at but then I figured out that thats only because the default fsb(HTT) is set to 200, so those values are based off that. You have to based your memory speed off what your set your fsb to and calculate it yourself and not go by those values. I may try to mess with it more later but for now I am happy with the results. I tried 300 x 9 to get 2.7 to see if that would work but I couldn't get that to boot for some reason. Anyone know the reason why if you the cpu speed is the same...I also change the divider accordingly for my pc3200 memory as well.
Thanks

Your board probably cannot run at FSB 300Mhz. My Ultra-D is stable up to 288Mhz using SATA 1+2 (which is probably the limiting factor, but haven't gotten around to checking yet).

Back