need help, outlook express with new linksys router, can't recieve mail

eman1

n00b
I just installed the linksys 4 port router, number befsr41, version 2. I have the new firmware.
Since installing it, I cant recieve mail in outlook express. I can send mail but not recieve.
This is the error message.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing on windows' site about that error message is saying that I should disable norton's email scanning. I tried that and it still doesnt work. I spend an hour or two yesterday messing around with different settings and still came up with nothing.
I think its related to the router, since this just came up after I installed the router. Is there a setting with the router I need to change, like its blocking optonline?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

kudos for actually trying to research it yourself.

if you think it's the routers problem, take yer box off the router and try it. if it works.. then open the port on your router.

another thing you can do, is remove the mail account, and recreate it. sometimes norton can hose mail accounts like that in outlook.

if none of those work, try to see if you can even ping the mail server :
start-run-cmd
ping (your mail sever)

I talked for a while with someone about this. Heres the problem.

117390359SyNWnp_ph.jpg

As you can see, the page doesnt load fully.
Where it stops loading, you can see some code that is something like </font. This leads me to believe that there is an error in the code on the page, almost like some characters are missing.

I'm going to try and upload that picture somewhere else since it seems to be loading very slowly.

Originally posted by eman1
The only thing on windows' site about that error message is saying that I should disable norton's email scanning. I tried that and it still doesnt work.

The fact that microsoft support suggested it was a problem with norton, and you have norton installed is an encouraging start. I would guess that therein lies the problem. Have you tried uninstalling Norton Anti-Virus altogether?

I'm sure this was the first thing you checked, but are you sure the server address is right? in my experience the prefix is often smtp or pop3, not "mail".

e.g. smtp.optonline.net ; pop3.optonline.net ; etc...

Originally posted by Iconz1
The fact that microsoft support suggested it was a problem with norton, and you have norton installed is an encouraging start. I would guess that therein lies the problem. Have you tried uninstalling Norton Anti-Virus altogether?

I'm sure this was the first thing you checked, but are you sure the server address is right? in my experience the prefix is often smtp or pop3, not "mail".

e.g. smtp.optonline.net ; pop3.optonline.net ; etc...

Yea, the prefix is mail. I've been using that as the prefix for over a year, and just now with the router i have started to get this problem.
I even tried to put smtp or pop3 instead of mail, but it didnt work.

I posted the pictures over here, and some more info.
http://www.askmarvin.ca/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=939
The first picture is with firmware 1.45.7, the second picture is with 1.44.2

well, my email works after clearing my temporary internet files :confused: I don't know why, but it worked, so I'm happy.

Back