Need help on unstable power.

element72

n00b
Hello guys!

I couldn't find a proper sections in the forum to post this so here goes....

Since I bought my motherboard about a year ago from now, I have been experiencing very very rare instability issues in-game and under light-load. It was until recently that someone pointed out it may be an unstable power problem. And I believe he was right on the money. Some indications of this include: sound distortion from turning off the table fan (that is connected to the same multi-outlet of my PC), or sound distortions when someone hits the light switch near my PC.

I currently live in a garage converted into a room with its own private bathroom. So it is very likely poor wiring as a result. Any ideas on how to get around this issue? Maybe using a high quality extension cord to try other outlets? Buying a backup PSU? I'm willing to try any helpful suggestions.

Edit: Currently using a Corsair HX650

Last edited:
Buy one of those 3 light outlet testers and check your outlets for proper hot-neutral-ground wiring. Track down all of the outlets on your PC circuit. Could be a seldom used gizmo causing your problems. Might not even be in the same room. A lot of circuits visit multiple rooms in a house.

If that doesn't fix the problem, a decent UPS might be the answer. Before purchase, search for issues between your proposed UPS and your type of PS. Some PS and some UPS just don't play well together.

Buy one of those 3 light outlet testers and check your outlets for proper hot-neutral-ground wiring. Track down all of the outlets on your PC circuit. Could be a seldom used gizmo causing your problems. Might not even be in the same room. A lot of circuits visit multiple rooms in a house.

If that doesn't fix the problem, a decent UPS might be the answer. Before purchase, search for issues between your proposed UPS and your type of PS. Some PS and some UPS just don't play well together.

In addition to your comments, maybe he should seek an advice from an electrician as well.
........sound distortions when someone hits the light switch near my PC.....
, that is certainly not a good omen.!!

In addition to your comments, maybe he should seek an advice from an electrician as well. , that is certainly not a good omen.!!
Actually from a little bit of searching, someone made a very extensive thread in another forum about UPS and how some models can filter noise in the power line and also correct for brownouts (under-voltage) or power surges (over-voltage). This is most likely what I need. The thread also mentions frequent blackouts, lol. For some reason, the area I'm living in has the most frequent blackouts. Maybe 5-7 a year; and mostly on rainy days.

Back