Need help on small office Network

2Fresh

2[H]4U
Ok, there are 3 of us connected with a router. We all ran the network set wizard and all has been fine forever. Today the other 2 computers are no longer in my Network Places. They can see me, but I can not see them. I did not change a thing. Booted up and they were gone. I use QuickBooks on one of the other computer so it is kinda a must to connect. I have dinked with it all day, but cant figure it out....prob cuz when it comes to these issues I am lost.. :D

Thanks for any help guys.

Can you ping the other two computers? Can you access them using \\ip here or \\computer name here? Are you running a firewall localy on the computers or just using the router as a firewall?

they probably downloaded an update which turned on the MS firewall or something. check in control panel --> windows firewall to see if it is turned on or disabled. if you're not running windows xp (and thus no built-in firewall) then give me more info in your post next time ;)

There was an update installed, but the firewall has been disabled..on all of the computers. Sorry I cant give more info, but I really do not know what I am doing. I mean all I did was hook up the computers to the router and run the wizard and all was fine. That is about all the knowledge I have in this area. :(

I did just have a video card go out on me. I ran it for a while screwed up. It would always reboot, lock up, bsod, etc. Could any files have been corupted from this? I realy doubt this is the cause but it did happened right after I installed the new card. Went from an Ati to Nvidia. So only ATi files were removed when the new one was installed.

Can you still access the Internet, just not the other computers on your network?

If you know the name of one of the other computers on your network (or the IP address), go to Start --> Run. Type: cmd

Once at the prompt, type: ping nameofothercomputer
You should get 4 replies.

If that works, can you access them by going to Start --> Run and typing: \\nameofothercomputer

I just did a format. I was in need of one anyway. Thanks for the help though guys. :)

Back