Need help on mounting APC UPS

mike2323

Weaksauce
I have two APC Smart-UPS 1000VA 2U rackmount backup systems for my two 2-post 19" racks at home. I come to find out that I need a $100 kit from APC to mount these 60lb units in my 2-post rack. Do I really need that kit or is there some other way I can safely mount these APC backups? i don't want to drop $200 on just being able to rack these UPSs. What should I do?

Those mountign kits just make it easier to rack and unrack the ups..
If you have the rack mount ears for your ups you really dont need apc's kit.

On the 2u smart ups 1000 there are a series of screws holding the rack mount tabs on. If you take those screws out and remove the tabs you can see that there are a seccond set of screw holes in the side of the ups which will alow the tabs to be mounted so that the ears are in the middle of the ups. Re mount the tabs in this posistion and rack em up!

That idea worked good for the 2U UPS. I am using a 3U UPS for the second rack instead. Is moving the front ears to the middle on a 150lb 3U UPS such a good idea?

mike2323 said:
Would that support the weight? Each UPS is 60lbs each.
....kinda depends on the shelf, doesn't it? We have some 19" rack shelves in our lab you can stand on. I'll bet the cost approaches the cost of the rack ears.....:cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
....kinda depends on the shelf, doesn't it? We have some 19" rack shelves in our lab you can stand on. I'll bet the cost approaches the cost of the rack ears.....:cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

The rack ears come withthe ups.. What he is referrign to are thses
http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP9625

I can tell you for a fact that there are a couple of smart ups 2200's in the 3u size that are mounted wiht the ears in the middle, and have been for over 2 years with no problems, but the bottom line is, if your not comftorable with it do whatever you need to become so.

Back