• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help on drilling holes

hoodlikegaza

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Messages
245
I have modded cases before using a dremel. My praetorian is going under the knife soon to mod it for a double 120mm rad at the top. The question i have is, what size drill bit is best used for drilling holes for the fan mounts? I have tried it before, and the holes always come out to big, and the screws end up not "catching" flush against the metal its mounted to. Also, what kind of screws (type and size,also if anyone knows where to find them that would be helpful too) would be best for mounting a radiator at the top of a case?

Im going to be using a swiftech mcr-220, and 2 panaflo fans, they are thicker than regular case fans, so I will probably need longer screws.

Thanks HOCP
 
What kind of radiator? If Its a black ice, you can use 2" long 6-32's and thread them straight through the rad (it'll break some copper fins, but they're useless anyways, as they're under the "shroud"). If you have a GTstealth, you need 1" long 6-32's as there's an IMPORTANT tube under each of the fan hole mounts.

As for the fan screw question... What kind of screw are we talking about? The small fan screws that come with most fans, or the longer skinnier ones that come with most fan grills.
 
hoodlikegaza said:
I have modded cases before using a dremel. My praetorian is going under the knife soon to mod it for a double 120mm rad at the top. The question i have is, what size drill bit is best used for drilling holes for the fan mounts? I have tried it before, and the holes always come out to big, and the screws end up not "catching" flush against the metal its mounted to. Also, what kind of screws (type and size,also if anyone knows where to find them that would be helpful too) would be best for mounting a radiator at the top of a case?

hoodlikegaza said:
I'm going to be using a swiftech mcr-220, and 2 panaflo fans, they are thicker than regular case fans, so I will probably need longer screws.

Thanks HOCP

So, um.... What size drill bit works best? Also I need the info on the screws from a 3rd party source like home depot. If anyone can help...
 
Back
Top