Need Help O/Cing Core i7 920 on P6t Deluxe V2

I found out the STOP 0x00000124 errors were due to my QPI voltage being too low (it was set to "Auto", I had to raise it to 1.25V to get to 4GHz stable).

By the way, a few things that I didn't notice before in this thread:

1) There's no reason to turn SpeedStep off. It is Turbo Mode that you want to turn off if your overclock is stable at 20x but not 21x.
2) Everyone fails the IntelBurnTest at 8 threads, it's a bug. Try it with 16 threads.
3) By the looks of your voltage setups, sderden, it's possible that your QPI/DRAM voltage is too high. This can cause blue screens, especially STOP 0x00000124 ones. Try lowering it to 1.3V. If that doesn't work, try 1.25V. Otherwise I'd say your motherboard or PSU is not up to the task. However, if you're able to pass IBT at stock settings (with 16 threads remember!) then you can't really RMA it since it's running fine. :/

Speedstep can interfere with an overclock.
Having boosted your voltages to cope with your overclock, you will be running the FSB a lot faster too.
So when speedstep kicks in, it reduces the voltage and multiplier but the idle CPU speed is now a lot faster.
If the low voltage is not enough to handle the new idle CPU speed, the PC can crash.

This is the very reason I cant use speedstep on my E8400 @ 4.1GHz.

I've never turned it off for my OC and I haven't heard many people say it's interfered with their OCs either but I guess it might in some circumstances. I guess you can leave it off whilst finding your max comfortable overclock and then turn it back on. If it doesn't cause any problems, it's far better to leave it on.

I don't want to start a new thread, so I hope the OP doesn't mind if I pose a question....

I was able to oc to 3.9GHz and everything is stable when I run Intel Burn and use it for hours on end...but whenever I put it in sleep and return back to it nothing happens when I try to wake it up. It's on, but there's nothing on my screen. So I power down and restart using the power button on the mobo and I get an error saying my overclocked failed. This has happened three times already. Any recommendations?

Currently I have the BLCK at 190 and the CPU voltage at 1.24. Ran intel burn and it's stable.

CaliGirl, is your motherboard bios up to date? There was a similar problem with the Asus P6T.

OK, I got my RMA from Newegg but got the P6T not the Deluxe. I really didnt care, just about the same board anyways.

It solved my Issues. I can now overclock. I just slapped it up to 3.2 without issues I'll get it up futher than that soon, and the watercooling is kicking ass. Thanks for all the help from everyone. Im glad I was able to get it working. Tomorrow my 4870x2 comes in and i hope that doesnt bring more problems LOL I'll get some pics of my water cooling and 4870x2 up tomorrow if anyone wants to check it.

abouttime-1.jpg

How would I check that?

You can check it from inside the bios, it also shows the bios version on bootup, and asus comes with a piece of software to check your bios version and update it from the internet from windows.

OK, I got my RMA from Newegg but got the P6T not the Deluxe. I really didnt care, just about the same board anyways.

It solved my Issues. I can now overclock. I just slapped it up to 3.2 without issues I'll get it up futher than that soon, and the watercooling is kicking ass. Thanks for all the help from everyone. Im glad I was able to get it working. Tomorrow my 4870x2 comes in and i hope that doesnt bring more problems LOL I'll get some pics of my water cooling and 4870x2 up tomorrow if anyone wants to check it.

Did they at least refund you the difference in cost?

Did they at least refund you the difference in cost?

Yes That and they paid for my shipping back to them. I didn't even ask for it. I have to say there is no other place to buy except Newegg!

Back