Need Help O/Cing Core i7 920 on P6t Deluxe V2

sderden

Limp Gawd
I need a little help with this overclock. Specs listed below. I’m not a newb to it as I had my Q6600 around 3.6. This i7 is way different. I’ve read reviews and forums on how to do this, but I just can’t seem to get a mild overclock at 3.2Ghz. I cant even get my Ram to run at its default of 1600 when i turn on XMP mode in the bios.

Could someone please spell out or line up what exactly I need in my settings to get this overclock or more. Also I’m not sure if my PSU would be able to handle it or not. I’m not sure. Bios is on the 0406

Right now everything is on default!

Ai Overclock Tuner:
CPU Ratio:
Intel Speedstep Tech:
BCLK:
DRAM Frequency:
CPU Voltage:
CPU PPL Voltage:
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage:
DRAM BUS Voltage:

Core7.jpg

It is hard to copy peoples settings and get the same overclock, although research in forums to get an idea off what the chip needs.

Can you list your specs to see what we are working with. I have the i7 920 on an Asus Rampage 2 and i have mine at 3.7 at the moment.

I have the same motherboard as was able to get 3.32GHz by just setting the BCLCK to 166MHz. I then chose the memory speed to be the closest one below 1600MHz (there was a ~1650MHz but this made the system not boot!). Also beware that the default RAM voltage might be below what yours needs at 1600MHz - mine needs 1.65V so I set it manually to 1.64V (1.65 is not selectable).

Thanks Zz. So I watched the video and said HEY I was doing that the whole time. I guess I was reading into it all to much messing around with all the uncore,QPI settings to much. Still I have to bump the Vcore to 1.375 ,Bclock to 160 for a 3.2 just to get into windows. I havnt even tried playing games yet. Do I have not so great core7? Im going to upgrade my bios tomorrow and see if that helps. Theres only so many times I can reboot and try crap out in one day LOL

BTW Idel Temps are no issues, running 41,40,41,39

Have you tried increasing the vtt to about 1.4ish? If you are leaving that on stock and only changing the CPU vcore that may be the reason why your CPU isn't overclocking. Most 920s should reach 3.4 - 3.6 GHz without putting the voltage above 1.35.

Also play around with different multipliers and bclcks. I found that my CPU likes the 18x multiplier and that the same frequency can be unstable at the 19x or 20x multiplier even thought the bclck is lower and all other settings are the same.

Have you tried increasing the vtt to about 1.4ish? If you are leaving that on stock and only changing the CPU vcore that may be the reason why your CPU isn't overclocking. Most 920s should reach 3.4 - 3.6 GHz without putting the voltage above 1.35.

Also play around with different multipliers and bclcks. I found that my CPU likes the 18x multiplier and that the same frequency can be unstable at the 19x or 20x multiplier even thought the bclck is lower and all other settings are the same.

Interesting thing. It was at the OC I had last night. Booted up today and blam! BSOD.

I will try your suggestion when I get home. Im also going to update to the latest BIOS and see if that helps as well.

Well that didn't work. I did the bios to 0504 and tried what was suggested. I'm not even getting to the windows boot now. This just sucks. Maybe my PSU just cant handle it? Or I have a dud part somewhere? Don't know but this is getting on my last nerve. Ive never had this much issue OCing a CPU.

Subscribed to this thread. I still need to learn how to OC my system!

+2. I'm getting the same mobo and cpu and I want to know how to OC it (complete OC n00b here) :p

OP, have you checked out this guide? It seems pretty straightforward... also, here's another guide, although the OC was achieved in a Gigabyte mobo... but I'm sure it can come in handy, just in case =)

Try'em out and tell us how they worked for ya!

Well that didn't work. I did the bios to 0504 and tried what was suggested. I'm not even getting to the windows boot now. This just sucks. Maybe my PSU just cant handle it? Or I have a dud part somewhere? Don't know but this is getting on my last nerve. Ive never had this much issue OCing a CPU.

Newer bios aren't always better. The exact same overclock settings may work with one bios and not another. Overclocking is mostly trial and error, so don't give up yet. Start with your CPU and VTT voltage at 1.35, lower your memory multiplier so that it is running at or below spec, lower the uncore so that it is 2x the memory multiplier, lower the CPU multiplier to 18, and increase the Bclk to 166. Then follow these steps:

1. Run Intel Burn Test for 10 passes with 8 cores utilized and maximum RAM.
2. Increase your multiplier to 19 and repeat step 1.
3. Increase your multiplier to 20 and repeat step 1.
4. Assuming all goes wells drop your multiplier back to 18 and increase the Bclk to 185 and repeat steps 1 - 3.

Your CPU may not be able to reach 3.7 GHz (Bclk of 185 * 20) and be stable, or it may fail sooner. Either way you should be able to find what your CPU can do. Once you find that then you can tweak the RAM and uncore settings to find their limits.

Curious, when trying to OC and going through all the trial and error, is there a way to set everything back to default factory settings if things get too messed up somehow?

Curious, when trying to OC and going through all the trial and error, is there a way to set everything back to default factory settings if things get too messed up somehow?
In the bios there should be an option to restore the settings to the default should you want to start from scratch. If the overclock is too high and the system won't even post one can physically reset the bios to the factory defaults quite easily. The process depends on the motherboard and you would have to consult your motherboard manual to determine what that process is for your particular board.

If it's one of the new high end boards there's a button! But usually it's a jumper. Consult your motherboard manual and always wear safety glasses as well as other required safety equipment.

Last edited:
If it's one of the new high end boards there's a button! But usally it's a jumper. Constult your motherboard manual and allways wear saftey glasses as well as other required saftey equipment.

lol, I count 5 spelling errors, can anyone improve on that?

When adjusting the BLCK, make sure you are checking your Ram mhz so that you are not going over the rating on it, since I didn't see what ram you are using.

Here are the settings that I tried initially and then I pushed them further to the overclock in my sig, but I also have water cooling.

Ai Overclock Tuner:
CPU Ratio: 20
Intel Speedstep Tech: Off for testing.
BCLK: 180
DRAM Frequency: -P6T shows the mhz, not the dividers, just make sure its below the max for your ram.
CPU Voltage: 1.35
CPU PPL Voltage: 1.8 or 1.9 Which ever was on default
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
DRAM BUS Voltage: -If you are not near the max mhz on your ram default should be ok. My ram was not happy on default till I set it to 1.66-1.67. (1600mhz max specifies that it needs 1.65 volts.)

The speedstep is really nice, but can cause issues when trying to find a stable overclock. Because if the temps are ok, it will try and kick the multiplier back up to 21 and then cause it to be unstable.

You can also try using the 21 multiplier, with a little lower bclk.

The vcore and qpi are high in this config, but if you can get it booted up and stable through some intel burn tests, then start to back down the voltages, or ramp up the bclk, if your temps are ok.

I also decided to turn off hyperthreading on my setup and to be honest it runs significantly cooler when running prime/intel burn test, etc.

In the bios there should be an option to restore the settings to the default should you want to start from scratch. If the overclock is too high and the system won't even post one can physically reset the bios to the factory defaults quite easily. The process depends on the motherboard and you would have to consult your motherboard manual to determine what that process is for your particular board.

The P6T so far handles bad overclocks pretty well. If it does not boot and you get no video signal, power off the tower and start it back up.

It will give a warning on post that the overclock failed and offer to load defaults or enter setup. The bios then has an option to restore factory defaults and you can save up to 2 more profiles on the bios to save you time while dialing in your OC if one of the settings fail.

I found that I had to tweak my voltages to get a decent OC.

DRAM: 1.64
CPU: 1.225
QPI: 1.335

Well Im at my witts end here. I have been trying so long Im thinking I have a lemon part somewhere. That or my PSU just isnt going to power this beast! All I get are BSOD's all the time.

Here is what Ive been trying. in any and all orders.

MULTI x18 x19 x20
Intel Speedstep Off
Hyperthreading Off
Bclk 140, 150 160 you name it.
Dram 1.66
CPU volt 1.35 and higher
CPU PLL 1.90, 1.96
QPI/Dram 1.35

CL=8
TRCD=8
TRP=8
TRAS=24
CR=1T

Is there anything Im missing? This should be a straight forward OC but its giving me hell.
Shit I even tried lowering the multi and raising it to stock speeds and I still get BSOD's Im thinking its the PSU just doesnt have it. Theres no other reason for it not getting to a simple 3.2Ghz, let alone 3.6, 3.8.

So just for shits and giggles I ran Intelburntest at stock everything and it failed..
I guess the Core Contact Freezer really does suck?

Fail-2.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you've either fitted the cooler incorrectly or have a bad CPU that you should RMA.

I had the same mobo and CPU and overclocked it to 3.6GHz with the following settings.

Multiplier - x18
BCLK - 200
DRAM - 1603
CPU Voltage - 1.33
CPU PLL - 1.88
QPI/DRAM - 1.33
APCI 2 - Enabled
Intel Turbo Mode - Disabled
C1E Support - Disabled
C-STATE Tech - Enabled

That is the best I can remember since I shipped it out last month. Burned it in for several days. Never crashed. Used a Noctua cooler and TX-2 thermal grease on everything.

I had the same mobo and CPU and overclocked it to 3.6GHz with the following settings.

Multiplier - x18
BCLK - 200
DRAM - 1603
CPU Voltage - 1.33
CPU PLL - 1.88
QPI/DRAM - 1.33
APCI 2 - Enabled
Intel Turbo Mode - Disabled
C1E Support - Disabled
C-STATE Tech - Enabled

That is the best I can remember since I shipped it out last month. Burned it in for several days. Never crashed. Used a Noctua cooler and TX-2 thermal grease on everything.

What PSU were you using? What PSU's are everyone else using?

In response to "sderden" that posted the screen cap with Intel Burn Test failing...

Try just running it with set to Auto for threads. I found that when I was using that program if I specified the threads it would fail like that every time even at stock settings. Once I left it to auto (it still used all available cores) then it would test like normal.

In response to "sderden" that posted the screen cap with Intel Burn Test failing...

Try just running it with set to Auto for threads. I found that when I was using that program if I specified the threads it would fail like that every time even at stock settings. Once I left it to auto (it still used all available cores) then it would test like normal.

I will try that tonight, thanks for the heads up. I Also bought the Corsair 850HX PSU from the hot deals I will see if that helps overclocking. Next step after that is going with water cooling.

I will try that tonight, thanks for the heads up. I Also bought the Corsair 850HX PSU from the hot deals I will see if that helps overclocking. Next step after that is going with water cooling.

Nice, I would have much preferred that one over what I got because of the modular cables. Was just a little too much outside my budget.

I canceled the order for the 850 and got the HX1000W got it today and installed it. Ok well, it’s not the PSU. It’s still giving me BSOD's. I set the ram to XMP mode and left the CPU alone and still got BSOD. So thinking its my ram I Set the ram to the XMP mode which sets it at 1604Mhz at 8-8-8-24, I then ran memtest 2.11 for 3 hrs NO errors. I think My Ram is ok. I’ve ran just about all the CPU stress test for CPU and NONE are coming up with errors. That leads me to believe that it’s the MB.

Anyone have any other suggestions before I RMA this MB?

Last edited:
I canceled the order for the 850 and got the HX1000W got it today and installed it. Ok well, it’s not the PSU. It’s still giving me BSOD's. I set the ram to XMP mode and left the CPU alone and still got BSOD. So thinking its my ram I Set the ram to the XMP mode which sets it at 1604Mhz at 8-8-8-24, I then ran memtest 2.11 for 3 hrs NO errors. I think My Ram is ok. I’ve ran just about all the CPU stress test for CPU and NONE are coming up with errors. That leads me to believe that it’s the MB.

Anyone have any other suggestions before I RMA this MB?

You lost me on this one. You set the RAM to XMP and left and CPU alone and got the BSOD. You then set the RAM to XMP and ran the memtest and it was fine. What was the CPU set to? Default or overclocked? When you did a stress test for the CPU, for it default or overclocked?

Personally, you should leave the memory alone when overclocking the CPU at first to see what happens. Do you have 1600MHz memory? If so, when you overclock the CPU, set the memory close to 1600MHz and leave everything on Auto. Don't try to change the timings. Hell, you can even leave the memory on Auto. As long as the lowest frequency for the memory isn't much higher than 1600MHz, leaving it on Auto will default it to the lowest value.

Also, what model memory do you have?

You lost me on this one. You set the RAM to XMP and left and CPU alone and got the BSOD. You then set the RAM to XMP and ran the memtest and it was fine. What was the CPU set to? Default or overclocked? When you did a stress test for the CPU, for it default or overclocked?

Personally, you should leave the memory alone when overclocking the CPU at first to see what happens. Do you have 1600MHz memory? If so, when you overclock the CPU, set the memory close to 1600MHz and leave everything on Auto. Don't try to change the timings. Hell, you can even leave the memory on Auto. As long as the lowest frequency for the memory isn't much higher than 1600MHz, leaving it on Auto will default it to the lowest value.

Also, what model memory do you have?

All my specs are listed below. Its OCZ XMP DDR3 1600 ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227388

When set the Ram to XMP mode the CPU was at default. Still got BSOD.
When doing Memtest, set XMP and left CPU at default no errors, but booting inoto windows gets BSOD
For stress testing the CPU was at default, because i cant get into windows when its overclocked.

I also tried setting everything up in the BIOS like I was overclocking, but I left the Memery on auto and set the CPU multi to 12x, then bumped the bclck to 140 and it BSOD. This MB just doesnt like any type of bclck bump at all. Im thinking its bad, going to try and do an RMA with Newegg.

I have the same MB and I just overclocked my CPU for the first time to 3.9 with air cooling. Ran the Intel Burn test and it's stable. Temps were a little higher than I'd like, but I played COD for about 1 1/2 hours and my temps stayed around 65-70c, so I think I'm good.

All I did was change the BLCK to 190, and the CPU voltage to 1.344 and left everything else alone on auto.

I hope it works out easier for you once you get an RMA on that mb

I can pass stress tests easily and then get BSODs when idle (well, always with audio or video playing) but I have a sneaky suspicion it's due to either the sound or the graphics card drivers after some research. Does anyone else use Windows 7 x64 with an nVidia card? If so, do you ever get STOP 0x00000124 errors?

I can pass stress tests easily and then get BSODs when idle (well, always with audio or video playing) but I have a sneaky suspicion it's due to either the sound or the graphics card drivers after some research. Does anyone else use Windows 7 x64 with an nVidia card? If so, do you ever get STOP 0x00000124 errors?

I thoroughly tested mine with Win 7 64 and a GTX 295 and never received any BSOD. You definitely have something faulty.

Well if anyone cares I have now installed my Swifttech H20-220 Apex Ultima and Prim95 for a few hrs temps are 47-49-47-48 with full load. I stll cant overclock this thing. Has to be a bad MB. Going to concact Newegg this week to see if I can get an RMA, Hope they can crossship me or let me buy a new MB and then refund my cash back for the old one. Lets hope..

Back