Need help! New system won't power on!

xkilla101

Weaksauce
Hey guys, I just put in an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe mobo, a new 480W psu, and an AMD64 3400+. I get everything all connected properly, all fans are plugged in and have power and nothing is intrusive. I go to turn the power on and it blips the power led and the fans start up and then abruptly STOP in under ONE SECOND.

Any ideas what is causing this problem? I can do it multiple times and it just does the same sequence.

You have got further than me!

I'm putting together a very similar system, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, A64 3000, Tagan 420W PSU. I can't get it to power up at all. I get the green light on the mobo but nothing happens when I hit the power button :(

Powering up and then off abruptly could be a ground out. Check all your motherboard standoffs and make sure that they are in the right places.

Green light and no power on. Could be the power switch is not hooked up properly. Check the connection.

Wow, sounds like we're in the same boat...

Ok, I was a bit dumb and forgot to connect that 4 pin 12V ATX power connector to the mobo, lol. Well, that got it to stay powered on, but now I get no video... When I first plug in the power cord and try turning the system on, the monitor turns on and then displays the "Monitor will turn off in 5 seconds" thing and turns off. The DVD drive's led also stays on the whole time.

Any thoughts on this one?

Redux said:
Green light and no power on. Could be the power switch is not hooked up properly. Check the connection.

Yeah that was my first though, I checked, double checked, switched it around the other way, nothing :(

This is what I get for trying to build a box after 4 hours sleep.

The Power switch WAS on the wrong pins. I discover this after taking the mobo out the case to eliminate grounding issues.

Man I'm dumb.

Good luck with your problem xkilla101, I'll probably be at your stage in an hour! :p

Yeah I really have no clue what's going on with mine... Everything looks fine to me, and this is my 3rd system I've totally built from the ground up.

my friend had the exact same problem as you guys about 2 weeks ago when me and him rebuilt his comp.. we still haven't found a solution for it.. i think the mobo or the processor has to be fried for it to not recognize the agp card.. cuz it's not a video card problem.. i have a 9800XT and a 9600Pro .. both work fine.. and i tried my 9600Pro in his comp and had the exact same problem.. so i'm thinking it's a problem with the mobo or the processor..

My RAM needed to be reseated, things are going ok now. I'm about to update the BIOS to 1004.

How you doing xkilla101?

Just reseating your ram fixed it? I took out the ram and let it fire up, it gave me a beep code. I put it back in the same dimm slots, nothing. I changed the dim slots, nothing.

And since I don't have any friends with a S754 rig, I can't test the mobo/cpu to isolate the problem, so basically things aren't looking too good here.

I had the no vid signal prob on one of my older systems, try using one ram stick at a time and see if that helps at all.

SaViOr

Gonna be building a new pc soon aswell, hope i wont be in the same boat lol cuz itll be my first :D

My machine still sometimes powers off very soon after being turned on but never does it on a restart. I'm starting to think it is a power draw issue. Perhaps the combined effect of a big, quality PSU (Tagan 420W) with all my devices (4xHD, 1 Optical, beefy GFX, USB devices) and a large monitor (22" CRT) are drawing too much power on start up and causing the computer to power down as it just can't get enough?

Try leaving the monitor off when you power up, not using extension/splitter blocks and keeping devices to a minimum. Turning the monitor on 10 seconds after the PC worked for me just now.

Well, I found out the problem. I'm a bit embarassed to admit what it was, but I'll just say this:

Make SURE your cpu is in the socket correctly.

It sounds like its ither grounding itself out, a memory problem, or possibly your jumper settings arn't set properly.

To rule out the possibility of it grounding out, set the motherboard on a non conductive surface and start it up.

If still no go, consult your motherboard's manual and make sure your jumpers are set correctly, if the mother board has SATA and you are not running sata drives, it normialy will not boot, also your FSB and clock ratio jumpers may not be set correctly, on k7 chipsets this is a big issue as well with any other chipset.

If ither of those dont work, make sure your ram is properly installed; pushed in all the way and in the right way, you could have it flipped around the wrong way, its still a possibility.

Theres also the possibility of your psu being bad. you could always swap it for a standard 350 and check if it fires with that. make sure your psu is not set 220, and is set to 115 on the back pannel if its on 220 it will possibly fry your motherboard and everything connected to it.

If all else fails make sure your heatsync/fan is installed properly on your cpu, and all pins on your cpu are matched up corretly. A possible thing that could have happened is that you put too much pressure on the core when installing the heatsync, and cracked your core, in that case its time for you to buy a new processor :D

hope this helps :D

Back