Need help, New MB and CPU

jrrandell

Limp Gawd
I just got my new MB and CPU ( Asus Gene-z and i5 2500k) and finally got it all set up. The board posted and loaded into bios just fine, upon loading into bios, picking my primary boot drive ( My existing hard drive that already has windows 7 ) and restating to save settings problems arose.

Once the comp restart the post screen came up, then the windows splash came up loaded, then after about 10 seconds of loading the computer just restarts all over again. Now upon entering is asks start computer normally or repair system, neither works.

After this happening I flashed the bios to 0403 successfully, however upon selecting my primary drive again and booting into windows I had the same problem.

Any insight to my problem? Am I going have to reinstall windows? I really dont wanna do this since my SSD will be here next week and I will have to reinstall windows then.

Did you check if you were using IDE vs. ACHI?

have tired both but i should be using ACHI correct?
have not tried both since bios flash

IDE got me to the login screen just now but I BSODed xD

ok i now make to the log in screen everytime, get to type my password and then crash due to BSOD

You should be using AHCI, but if you were using IDE mode before you can have problems like you are describing if you switch to AHCI. Likewise, if you are moving from an AMD platform to the Intel one, as it seems you are, you could well be running into driver problems. Have you tried booting to a Windows setup disc and trying to run Startup Repair on it?

I havent tired the disk yet, I just dug it out, is my next step if this safe mode fails, I was assuming it was the platform switch causing issues. If my SSD came at the same time I would of just did a fresh install but it did not so I must wait.

And as I was typing this I managed to boot into windows with safe mode, so hopefully I can go from here.

Not to worried about performance yet Im really just being lazy and waiting to reinstall OS

Edit, since this is my first time into windows ill see if i can get drivers working

What Forceman said. You are correct, you should be using ACHI, but if you installed the OS in IDE mode, you'll have to use that.

Thx for the help so far guys, I think It was IDE previous. After rebooting from safe mode I got to log in screen + password I had another BSOD, and my resolution is all wrong so I think my current issue may be graphics drivers so ill attempt to re-install them now in safe mode.

Get your copy of Windows on a USB drive. When you go to install it on your SSD, make sure it's set as ACHI, and it'll take ~15 minutes to get you from boot to desktop.

Get your copy of Windows on a USB drive. When you go to install it on your SSD, make sure it's set as ACHI, and it'll take ~15 minutes to get you from boot to desktop.

Will installing it from the CD in ACHI mode be fine? I dont have an USB drive big enough for windows 7 :(

Also Is there a way to disable my Discrete GPU and use on board graphics in the bios?

Yep, just go into the Bios and disable the iGPU. Yes, you can still install it off CD, but it'll just fly installed off USB. :)

God I wish it would let me read that BSOD before restarting.

Im having trouble disabling the iGPU, only thing i can find are the Freq, iGPU offset sign.

Also I dont have to type my password to BSOD if i just wait it will. The whole time the windows is loading the debug leds on te MB are displaying AA which mean "system has transitioned into ACPI mode. interrupt controller is in APIC mode" I have no idea what this means :S

Also, do make sure your system is set up properly, as in XMP or whatever for memory, that the voltages are set properly, the boot drive is selected in the bios and such, sometimes the smallest little thing can cause the computer to have major agony :p Also, not all drives support AHCI mode properly, I believe APIC is a set of specific runtime instructions in the boot call or something like that, I always had that disabled in bios, some drives just are not built to use AHCI mode directly, most new drives are most certainly, older drives, generally are not capable, or dont like to use it, if the drive was in IDE before, and switch to AHCI, there is a registry value you can change to force windows 7 to load the default microsoft AHCI drivers, sometimes this can help it from having grief untill you can install the proper AHCI chipset drivers supplied by the board manufacturer

Start hitting F8 on the keyboard during the BIOS screen, then choose disable reboot after Bluescreen (It's about mid way down the list, I can't remember exact verbage). As for the iGPU, I don't know what the Asus UEFI looks like... but I'm sure it's in there. Check the manual (gasp!).

Man im all over the manual, also f8 just ask me which device I want to boot from. I havent really looked at the memory settins but i Should do that because it has caused me greif in the past.

I really need to read that BSOD tho, would make this hella easier. Anyo other buttons known to bring me to them settings?

Also thank you for all the help so far guys. But i think ima install windows on my other harddrive soon just to make sure its not a MB issue. I'll have to live with it if my old install of windows doesnt wanna play ball :p

edit: Booted into safe mode and disabled auto restarting so hopefully i get to read that sucker now

That's what I was aiming for. That should help a bit.

I did read it but was uphelpful

Said system hardware excemption

if you changed your hardware replace it bla bla bla

Im trying a fresh install now, just to confirm if its the OS or not

Edit: LONG LIVE UEFI BIOS, omg its sex.

So good news, the fresh install seems to be working without a hitch, im installing the MB drivers now, so unless something else pops up I am officially blaming it on the old OS.

Not that big of a deal since my SSD should arrive by tuesday I hope, Ill just live off my laptop for the weekend.

Thanks for all the help, especially Ruoh :D you are quite the [H]elper.
If I run into other problems ill let everyone know

Thanks again

Also while you are in the process of installing it, make sure bios is set to use AHCI, this should help bump performance a bit, and is a requirement for SSD, having the SSD set to 4k format will help its performance overall as well.

In the system advanced, startup recovery screen, you can adjust how long to show OS screen, or make it so that you have to hit reset to make it restart instead of auto boot off.

F8 is usally force to boot from device X, F10 is ually advanced boot options, if you had windows disc in, you could have possibly forced a repair/reinstallation, by choosing to boot from CD instead of hard drive?

As for changing from GPU to IGP, that 100% fully depends on the board/cpu, but you will see on one of the pages, forget which, initiate graphics adapter or set display adapter to and usally choice is set to pcie/pci if you have a gpu installed, in this case you would set it to read pci/pcie or just pci, basically forcing it to read from IGP instead of GPU

Last edited:
If you can get in Safe Mode, it was definitely a driver issue. You probably could have tried to install the new chipset drivers in Safe Mode, but if you are re-installing, then you're good. Take the weekend to do some overclocking, so when you get the SSD you'll already be ready to roll.

Also while you are in the process of installing it, make sure bios is set to use AHCI, this should help bump performance a bit, and is a requirement for SSD, having the SSD set to 4k format will help its performance overall as well.

AHCI is not required for SSDs, they will work just fine in IDE mode - they are just performance limited in IDE mode.

Thx for even more replies. just to address what you brought up.

I installed the new OS in IDE on the same hardrive, cause im gonna reformat when the SSD gets here, im not even gonna bother doing windows updates. As result im gonna hold off on overclocking until then.

When I was in safemode it keep giving me an error with installing or un-installing ANYTHING so no luck in trying that.

And I will not forgot to set to ACHI when I get my SSD, I have a postit note on my current HDD so I dont forget xD

Oh and I did figure out how to switch between the onboard and discrete GPU :) (both worked fine with the new OS anyway)

Thanks again all, anymore information you wanna shoot my way wont be waste ;)

Edit: Some pics :)
post it note

4NOOp.jpg

In The case
U4lKS.jpg

Un-boxing mess
VlWOg.jpg

Last edited:
Also considering this is my first time replacing my MB and CPU I think it went fairly well.
(not my first time putting it in, or mounting a heat sink mind you, just first time upgrading platform)

Back