Need help networking XP and 98 machines

I am trying to set up a quick network between an older HP win98 machine (mom's old computer) and a new XP machine (mom's new computer). I have the two joined via a crossover cable. I am about as green as you can get when it comes to networking, so be gentle.

Both machines are set to the WORKGROUP workgroup. The XP machine (speedy) is set to 192.168.0.1 and the 98 machine (pavilion) is set to 192.168.0.2. I can ping the 98 machine from the XP machine and the 98 machine can ping itself, but neither can ping the XP machine. I am almost certain that if I could just get the XP machine to ping itself, then the 98 machine should be able to do the same and then they might actually see each other so we can do an easy file transfer.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

on the XP box, go to the command prompt and type in "ipconfig" -- is that showing the IP address you're setting? It really just sounds like the IP setting hasn't locked in for some reason, because the IPs in and of themselves are fine (also make sure the machines have matching subnets of 255.255.255.0).

So the XP box cant ping itself? What happens when you ping the loopback address on the
XP box (127.0..0.1)? You would also need to have all the networking components installed
also, like Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing etc...

IPconfig does show the correct ip address and subnets of 255.255.255.0

As far as pinging the loopback address, that seems to work fine, if I type ping localhost on the xp machine it pings normally. To the best of my knowledge, all the networking components are installed, it's a brand new machine so it's a fresh install of XP. The nic on the XP machine is an onboard network card on a gigabyte board.

I couldn't find a faq relating to my question after searching, but I'll check that link you provided. Thanks for your input!

you dont have a firewall on the xp machine do you? If you are using the xp firewall it might be preventing the network browsing. I usually turn it off in lieu of sygate or ZAP. If there is a firewall you must go into the options and enable network browsing, or sometimes allow others to browse this computer...

I would also make sure that the window 98 box has "client for microsoft network" as its primary logon, and that you are using a password to log on.

Nope, firewall is disabled in XP.

Actually...now that I think about it, would Norton Internet Security be causing problems? That is currently the only thing installed on the xp machine.

go into options of norton and allow network browsing. I'll bet my old voodoo card that thats whats stopping you.

Steppanwolf said:
Nope, firewall is disabled in XP.

Actually...now that I think about it, would Norton Internet Security be causing problems? That is currently the only thing installed on the xp machine.

Yup, XP firewall may be disabled, but I'm sure Norton Internet Sercurity is doing it's firewall job. You can allow network traffic on private IP ranges, such as your 192.168.0.xxx.

Yeah, it was Norton. Leave it to the n00b to think that Norton would automagically know that the computer on the same network should have access rights ;)

Store this experience away for a later botched job! :D

Back