Need help! Need 2u rackmount case <20" deep!

Brules

Gawd
I have 2 spare machines (P4 2.4C, and an AMD XP2100) that are full sized ATX mobos, and I want to put them in rack mountable server cases, preferably 2u. The cases would then be placed into a 4-6u SKB/Gator case for easy transportation to a monthly LAN I help run to be used as game servers.

My problem is, EVERY damn 2u case I have found, is 22-26"'s deep! And SKB/Gator cases only have 19"'s from rail to rail!

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have thought of going to 2 3u cases, but thought I would check here first to see if any of you LAN guys knew of any cases (computer or rack) that would work for what I need.

Thanks

:)

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/viewproduct.asp?ProductID=CAS-2URACK

69.00 their used, but who cares, i bought one for a total of 88 bucks shipped to my house and it even came with a black floppy.

the case i got was an antec *just like the 2u that newegg has* and its small. don't have exact measurements, thou the power supply doesn't have the p4 plug, i bought one of them converters offa ebay and its worked great.

edit: the antec 2u at newegg is Dimensions: 3.5''Hx19''Wx19.7''D

It works with my other antec rackmount cases key, so i'd be willing to bet money that its an antec case, it looks identical inside so.

you can thank me later.. :)

Originally posted by Brules
I have 2 spare machines (P4 2.4C, and an AMD XP2100) that are full sized ATX mobos, and I want to put them in rack mountable server cases, preferably 2u. The cases would then be placed into a 4-6u SKB/Gator case for easy transportation to a monthly LAN I help run to be used as game servers.

My problem is, EVERY damn 2u case I have found, is 22-26"'s deep! And SKB/Gator cases only have 19"'s from rail to rail!

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have thought of going to 2 3u cases, but thought I would check here first to see if any of you LAN guys knew of any cases (computer or rack) that would work for what I need.

Thanks

Most of the SKB and gators are designed for Pro-audio stuff

Way less than 22" in depth, sometimes less than 4" deep (my reverb unit, for example is only 2.5" deep)

Also 19.125" is standard rack width in pro-audio, and *usually* only have a front set of rails (there are racks with a rear rail though, but usually for back mounting patch panels, not really for securing the rear-end of a server)

just some info on the cases you are looking at, I haven't seen anything along what you are looking for though

Yeah, I figured I would have to rig something on the back rails.

Why the heck doesn't someone make mobile racks for computer stuff that is half way affordable??!?!?! Grrrr....

Thanks for the link Veeb. Thats a killer price for the case. I may have to snag a few of them!

Originally posted by Brules
Yeah, I figured I would have to rig something on the back rails.

Why the heck doesn't someone make mobile racks for computer stuff that is half way affordable??!?!?! Grrrr....

Thanks for the link Veeb. Thats a killer price for the case. I may have to snag a few of them!

meh.

I got a compaq half-rack on e-bay for $200, doors, wheels and all.

not *very* portable, but more portable than say a 7ft 42U cabinet :D

Hehe I am talking protable like the SKB/Gator cases...

Something 19" wide, 26" rail to tail and has front & back lockable lids. Just baffles me no one makes something like that.

The linked 2U case may work out nicely for my new firewall machine...However, where would you find rails for it? I have a rack at home and it's not much use to me without a rail kit.

No need for rails on a SKB case....just screw in the front and make up something for the back. ;)

Back