need help, MSI P55 GD65 powers issues

qfwm

Weaksauce
I just put together my new computer today
I thought everything looked good, guess not
the board powers up, all the fans power up, including the heatsink fan and the video card fan, the dvd drives door will open and close. But the keyboard, mouse dont work at all (both USB), and I am getting no signal to the monitor, it also doesnt sound like the hard drive is running
I5 750
corsair PSU TX750
samsung dvd drive
patriot viper memory 4g
safire 4870 1g
WD 640g HD

any thoughts on whats going on, everything was bought new
thanks in advance for any and all help

No I don't, my last build was 2002. that PSU is 420W but doesnt have any sata or an 8 pin, it only has the 4 pin. Should I unhook all the fans and just try it with the hard drive and video card?

It's not an issue with the amount of power per se, but the PSU might just not work properly. It could also be the motherboard. Try taking all of the components out of the case and putting them on a desk and see if the computer will work like that.

Ok, I will try taking it out of the case and see if that works and will post back later.

Thanks

ok, I took everything out of the case. I hooked up the hard drive, video card, the 2 sticks of ram, and the keyboard and mouse. Still nothing to the monitor, I then removed the hard drive, then the ram, still nothing.
I then unplugged the mouse while it was running, it started to power on and off in short spurts, when I unplugged the keyboard it would run the cpu and video card fans but still no monitor output.

Make sure you put the memory in slots 2 and 4. This board will not post with memory only in the 1st and 3rd physical slots.

Not sure which is 1 and 3, but I originally had the memory in the 2 blue ones, I just put one stick into the middle black one and I got monitor output, I then added the keyboard and mouse and monitor output, i then added the hard drive and same thing, output. Just added the 2nd stick of memory and it looks like I'm good.
I'm gonna put it all back in the case and pray it still works.
Thank you guys for the help

I had this same damn problem and I tried so many different things until I tried the other slots.
The order, starting closest to the CPU, is 2, 1, 4, 3.
On page 2-7 of the manual, it says "To enable successful system boot-up (Lynnfield CPU especially), always insert the memory modules into the DIMM1 first."

So the black ones are 1 and 3, blue are 2 and 4. I wasted 2 or 3 hours trying a different PSU, graphics card, non-conductive surface, etc. I don't know why it requires DIMM1 but it sucked.

I have same mobo and had to move ram also. I remember someone doing a review and experiencing the same thing. That comment saved me lots of headaches.

Back