Need help moving Active Directory To New Server

Moosh

Gawd
Hello guys. I have a Pentium 4 1.6 ghz box currently running Windows 2003 Small Business Server. I have another computer with an Athlon 2400+ that I would like to move my Windows 2003 Server to, but I do not know what the best way to do it would be.

Should I complete a fresh install of Windows 2003 on the Athlon 2400+, and somehow restore the active directory? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks guys.

I would do a clean install, and then setup active directory on the new box, have them synchronize (sorry if that's the wrong term, haven't really dealt with AD much) perhaps it's replicate? Anyway, if you have two AD servers correctly connected they'll synch up, and then you can take your old one offline and just use the new one

What this guy said is 100% true.

Install your new server.. Dcpromo it, and let it sit there for 24 hours or so, in order to replicate a few times.

Unplug your old server, and voila!

Now if you're running other services on that machine, you might have a little trickier migration at hand. Just be sure you do a zone-transfer in DNS as the Windows networking model relies heavily on DNS resolution.

There is a big problem because I need to move the raid setup to the new motherboard and processor, so I will not be able to have both server operating simultaneously. Any ideas?

Perhaps you could use sysprep? Check out the sticky, and good luck with this migration!

I just read from a link on that sticky that Microsoft does not support using Sysprep when going from an Intel system to an AMD system. Do you think this is anything to be concerned about before I give this a shot? Thanks.

Back