Need help...maybe I am a tard with networking...

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
Again thanks for the help guys. Some new trouble shooting ideas i learned about so thanks a lot.

Okay...either I am a retard or something weird is wrong.

I am trying to access my R7000 router to configure it.
It is just connected to my main desktop.
I am using my builtin intel nic that has always worked.
I am connected to port 1 on the router.
I have rebooted the router and PC a couple times.
I have reset the router once (reset button)
I have tried 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, and www.routerlogin.net
I have renewed IP4/P6 several times in CMD
I have done automated troubleshoot.
ipconfig says default gateway 192.168.1.1 and my ip is 192.168.1.2 and subnet is 255.255.255.0
Cables are good
I can ping router

But I can not login. Every time i try it does "cannot display" as in like page is unavailable.

I also tried to follow all of these steps and check to make sure proxies arent used.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1097/~/if-you-cannot-login-to-your-router

I also tried IE, chrome, and firefox.

Is this thing broken or am I missing something?

EDIT: oh also the network lift on port 1 flashes too as if its doing something. The only things connected are my desktop and router. I am trying to configure it before I put it into the network to minimize down time

firebox explicitly says connection was reset before it could load...not sure if that matters.

I also tried again with disabling MBAM and Kaspersky to make sure they weren't doing something stupid too. Still no luck.

I really loathe networks :/

Last edited:
wired to port 1 as stated above. I amr ebooting again and trying to see...why not. I am out of ideas.

I tried htttp://192.168.1.1 and http:// in firefox, chrome and IE. I think i tried that before but i did it again to be sure and it didn't work

did you try https:// ?

Also, can you use a wireless device to connect to the default wireless network and try using it?

did you try https:// ?

Also, can you use a wireless device to connect to the default wireless network and try using it?

ops you said can i use a wireless device lawl. I dont have one atm to try but....

The good news is i am a tard and not a tard. I switched to another PC and i got it to work. For soem reason my main desktop just cnat connect to the router. I tried my server and it connected on the first try.

Not a clue why my main desktop wont connect but it is working now and i just need to use my server to do it. Pain in the ass since i dont want to use that but oh well.

Thanks for the help. 3 or so hours wasted just because i forgot to try another PC just in case the one is giving me the finger lawl

again thanks for the help. If anyone else has this problem remember to test another PC just in case :/

Have you tried private browsing/incognito mode in any of your browsers? If it works, then there is something with the settings, cache, and cookies and you probably need to clear it.

Create a test user on your computer, log off, and log into the test user. Try again. Are the results the same or different? If they are different, then there's something bugged up in your profile. It would be most practical to backup your files, blow away your user profile (ask for proper procedures if you will do this), and log back in to create a new profile.

Try booting from an Ubuntu/Linux Mint Live CD and use the bundled browser to try again. Same results or different? If you get different results, then it confirms that there is something buggered up with your OS, driver issue, or an application is interfering.

3.a.
If you get the same results, then it indicates that the issue is likely hardware-related -- try a USB Ethernet adapter and/or a USB wireless adapter.

3.b.
Have you tried using wireless connectivity rather than a wired connection? You would need a wireless NIC card or USB wireless adapter to test this.

Try a different computer; borrow a friend's laptop or something, hookup via Ethernet cable, try again. Same results or different? If you get the same results, it sounds like you will never be able to access the interface (unless by sheer luck) and should process your router through warranty for a replacement. If you get different results, then it at least narrows it down that the problem is with your computer specifically. You can either continue spending the time to try and figure out what is interfering, or backup your files and reinstall Windows from scratch (unless it is confirmed to be a hardware problem, then either try a USB adapter or replace the motherboard).

Summary of above:
First we try identify if the problem is related to cookies/cache.
Then we try identify if the problem is related to your user profile.
Then we try identify if the problem roots to software vs hardware.
The possible solutions thereafter come naturally.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you tried private browsing/incognito mode in any of your browsers? If it works, then there is something with the settings, cache, and cookies and you probably need to clear it.

Create a test user on your computer, log off, and log into the test user. Try again. Are the results the same or different? If they are different, then there's something bugged up in your profile. It would be most practical to backup your files, blow away your user profile (ask for proper procedures if you will do this), and log back in to create a new profile.

Try booting from an Ubuntu/Linux Mint Live CD and use the bundled browser to try again. Same results or different? If you get different results, then it confirms that there is something buggered up with your OS, driver issue, or an application is interfering.

3.a.
If you get the same results, then it indicates that the issue is likely hardware-related -- try a USB Ethernet adapter and/or a USB wireless adapter.

3.b.
Have you tried using wireless connectivity rather than a wired connection? You would need a wireless NIC card or USB wireless adapter to test this.

Try a different computer; borrow a friend's laptop or something, hookup via Ethernet cable, try again. Same results or different? If you get the same results, it sounds like you will never be able to access the interface (unless by sheer luck) and should process your router through warranty for a replacement. If you get different results, then it at least narrows it down that the problem is with your computer specifically. You can either continue spending the time to try and figure out what is interfering, or backup your files and reinstall Windows from scratch (unless it is confirmed to be a hardware problem, then either try a USB adapter or replace the motherboard).

That's a good list thanks. Yea i just tried nubmer 4 before you posted and got it to work. If i think about it i'll give private browser mode a try for grins. Thats a good idea.

I think there must be a setting on my desktop thats buggering it but i am not going to stress about troubleshooting sinc ei can just use another PC...that'll take less time :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's a good list thanks. Yea i just tried nubmer 4 before you posted and got it to work. If i think about it i'll give private browser mode a try for grins. Thats a good idea.

I think there must be a setting on my desktop thats buggering it but i am not going to stress about troubleshooting sinc ei can just use another PC...that'll take less time :D
You COULD try all of them for fun just to narrow things down and let us know. :D For #2 you don't have to blow your profile away, just having confirmation if it works fine or not in a new test user account would say a lot.

You COULD try all of them for fun just to narrow things down and let us know. :D For #2 you don't have to blow your profile away, just having confirmation if it works fine or not in a new test user account would say a lot.

tried private browsing and still didn't work. I am giving up there and just going with that PC is buggered :D

Back