Need Help Matching a set of IPS Monitors

RavenSEAL

n00b
I'll try to keep this short.

The last 3 months have been a complete pain in the ass for me. I've been through 7 different monitors, two different monitor brands, and two different professional calibration tools.

I cannot seem to get monitors that match in color reproduction, brightness reproduction, hue, and/or tone. I am at my wits, because I am an absolute snob for color accuracy (you can thank professional photography for this).

I've had Dells U and P series, and I've had ASUS PA248Qs. All did not match.

I need TWO IPS monitors. 24inch, 1900*1200 would be my preference (if there are ANY options left out there), but I don't care at this point. I need monitors that will have matching settings out of the box (I previously had a pair that did, ViewSonic VX2770SMH, bought almost a year apart from each other).

Please help me. :mad:

After calibration, do the chromaticities of the monitors' respective primaries match up? What about the white points? And what instrument are you using to measure light?

After calibration, do the chromaticities of the monitors' respective primaries match up? What about the white points? And what instrument are you using to measure light?

I've had a spyder4pro for a while now. Chromaticity was the least of my problems.

I cannot get matching white points or gray scales regardless of what I do to the ASUS PA248Q monitors (I've had 5 of those now)

I dismissed the Dell units very quickly (they each had a very distinctive shade of yellow), which were without a doubt panel defects (I had four of these).

Chromaticity is precisely your problem if you're not getting matching white points.

When you say the white points weren't matching, do you mean based on your perceptual judgment, or based on chromaticity measurements?

Chromaticity is precisely your problem if you're not getting matching white points.

When you say the white points weren't matching, do you mean based on your perceptual judgment, or based on chromaticity measurements?

Perceptual. These ASUS panels are also incredibly inconsistent. Readings have huge deviations between measurement areas.

Right, so screen uniformity is a potential issue here as you've noted. After calibration, however, did the center of the screens (or wherever you placed the colorimeter) report similar measurements between displays?

(I'm just trying to locate the source of the mismatch here).

Also see this thread - it may contain relevant information for you.

Right, so screen uniformity is a potential issue here as you've noted. After calibration, however, did the center of the screens (or wherever you placed the colorimeter) report similar measurements between displays?

(I'm just trying to locate the source of the mismatch here).

Also see this thread - it may contain relevant information for you.

Thank you. I'll look through the thread. The centers did report similar measurements, but the uniformity that I am after did not exist.

I just ordered a pair of Acer K272HULs from Amazon. The general perception is that they have great colors out of the box with the AHVA panels.

I'll report back on Satuday how that goes. The extra resolution should be a welcomed sight.

If you're a professional photographer, then you cannot rely on out of box settings. Even if they're perfectly matched out of the box, they'll both drift over time. Furthermore, even if they're matched, they might not adhere to whatever standard you're going for, which defeats the entire purpose of calibration. You want to ensure not only that they're matched, but that they're both matched to a particular standard (given the gamut of that monitor, that would be sRGB). This means that when you create your work, then others who are working with calibrated displays will see your work as you intended.

You might find the intro to my white point balance guide useful as background.

Good luck with the panels - I fear the day that my CRTs die and I have to immerse myself in the world of LCDs (I'm hoping I can maintain my FW900s long enough that I can skip LCDs entirely!).

What about NEC? MultiSync PA272W are factory calibrated, include luminance and color sensors built-in. If they don't match immediately out of the box, a simple adjustment will do it for you.

What about NEC? MultiSync PA272W are factory calibrated, include luminance and color sensors built-in. If they don't match immediately out of the box, a simple adjustment will do it for you.

I wish it was within my budget ArtMarshall. Unfortunately, I don't have any use at this time for professional level displays. I need something that will perform but is also economic and has every day usability for almost all purposes.

it is possible to get a non-yellow dell. I have one (U2414H) but unfortunately it has dust stuck in the screen near the left edge and also makes these lines randomly. No idea what causes the lines but they look like they're overlaid on the screen since they simply fade in and out over hours. If anyone has any idea what could be the cause please help.

uL0xDWC.jpg

I did request a replacement and I noticed right away it looked off. Heres a comparison, replacement on the left. I be requesting another replacement, third times the charm I hope.

AUbAfG7.jpg

it is possible to get a non-yellow dell. I have one (U2414H) but unfortunately it has dust stuck in the screen near the left edge and also makes these lines randomly. No idea what causes the lines but they look like they're overlaid on the screen since they simply fade in and out over hours. If anyone has any idea what could be the cause please help.

uL0xDWC.jpg

I did request a replacement and I noticed right away it looked off. Heres a comparison, replacement on the left. I be requesting another replacement, third times the charm I hope.

AUbAfG7.jpg

I went though the same with my Dell panels. I had two replacements, with only one having a proper tone. I quite liked the panel that did display colors properly, so I left it off to the parents since they needed a new monitor.

Back